Alright, here goes:
I had to start off by making a new inspection plate cover:
The two rows of holes and the square cut-out at the top of the plate in the last picture are for the tranny shifter.
Making the shifter arm fit to the angle iron braces:
The shifter arm, bushing, and bolt are from the J-10 and came with my x-case.
One piece of the angle iron is drilled and tapped to accept the small threaded end of the bolt, and the other piece is drilled to accept the large end of the bolt.
The shifter arm and braces are assembled. You can see where I used washers, and where I 'clearances' the angle iron so I could get a socket on the bolt.
Here it is riveted to the new inspection plate
Here it is installed in the Wrangler.
Painted to match the Durabak bedliner in the tub
I used the stock J-10 shift linkage, but it was a very close fit and damned near binds in some places. Eventually I'll make a new shifter for the tranny and x-case that bolt to the gearboxes themselves instead of the body, and come up through the floor looking like stock 5-speed and x-case shifters.
'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal