4 barrel on my V6? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4 barrel on my V6?

I have the chance of getting another 225 for free and it has an aluminum 4 barrel intake on it. Would it be too much gass to put a 4 barrel carb on my 225? Im planning on taking the engine anyways if the guy decides he can part with it (he's building a comando and wants a vortec) but what do you all think about going with a bigger carb. The Jeep runs pretty good right now but sometimes has problems under load which is not much of a surprise for my little 6 cylinder. Would a bigger carb mess it all up and just give me problems? Thanks for the help.

<font color=green>ColeJ6</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 07:19 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 4 barrel on my V6?

Cole,
Those questions can probably be best answered from the guys that run the most 225s. Both the Jeepster board and "Sparky's" early CJ/Dauntless 225 board are excellent resources. I frequented them heavily before the oddfire in my former project contracted a death knock (that coupled with other major issues caused me to start over). Now I have a 304 with no oil pressure [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].
A guy I met this summer has a 225 w/ aluminum dual plane intake, Holley 4V, cam, and headers. Sounded pretty wild lopping at idle.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
(Now "Moss-less" & looking for a name)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 08:30 PM

I don't know the answer to that queston, but GM did put a small Q-jet on a few 238 and 4.1 V-6's.

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 05:40 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

The best 4 bbl intake for the 225 V-6 is the Offenhauser Dual Port #6035-DP. It's designed for 1500-4500 rpm which is perfect for the Jeep. Offy, Weind also make other intakes, but they are designed for higher rpm applications. A Quadrajet would be the best carb for off-road. You would need a square-bore to spread-bore adapter to use a Q-jet, runs about $20. The Carter 500 cfm AFB or its' clone the Edelbrock Performer along with the 390 cfm Holley #8007 could also be used.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 08:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Dave
I ran a Wheland 4bbl intake on a 231 once with a eddelbrock carb (can't remember the cfm) but it did very well. Mine was built for high quick rpm's. It did not have a flooding problem, or for that matter any problems at all. I personaly like the v6 motors. Just can't fimd alot of reasonably priced parts like I can for a 350.
In your trade if you get an adapter to go from a 225 to a t150 jeep trany I am in the market for that adapter plate. I am building a 7 and want to run a 231 in it ..

97 TJ 31's and mostly stock but seeing what I can do about that..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:25 PM
sentinel

I suggest forgetting carbs all together. Go with a throttle body. I don't know who makes them, but you can find one in your favorite 4WD magazine. They make them for all models of engines, plus you get 4 barrel power from them with out all the trouble of a carb.

'79 CJ-5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 01:54 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Sorry sentinal, but nobody makes a throttle body for a Buick 225 V-6 as it is an odd-fire engine. Newer Buick 231 even-fire V-6's can be adapted to both TBI and MPI. It's either 2 bbl or 4 bbl carbs, unless you wish to re-engineer to make fuel injection to work with an odd-fire engine. There are a few out there, but it's quite a project.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 01:55 PM

i'm using a 390 cfm holley with an edelbrock intake on my 4.3(262ci) V-6 and i like it very much. i have a slight off-idle (full throttle) bog, but it's because i'm running a lean idle and low fuel bowls. (i can make it go away) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but it then floods sooner off-camber and up very very steep hills.....

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode