Waterpump is leaking......WHATS NEXT?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Waterpump is leaking......WHATS NEXT??

Well i finally got the 350 running (previous prob - stuffed battery and faulty jumper leads) so i connected up my radiator and got some hoses today, filled it with water and guess what it had a few leaks (no suprise there! not with my luck!!) Well heres the problem i filled the radiator and when the water pump started to fill up, water started pissing out of a hole in the bottom of it. so i put my finger over the hole and kept filling, when it filled some more it started leaking out of the top hole (the holes are just behind the pully). i took it off and pulled the rear cover off it and sprayed it with wd40. filled it with water (facing down) with the cover off and it didnt leak. so i put the cover back on, held it upright, filled it up and it didnt leak so i put it back on. but when i connected it back up and filled it up again it started leaking again (but not as bad). so now im not sure if i need to replace the whole pump, buy a kit - replace the seals, or keep spraying wd40 in the holes to loosen it up. i know there is a few types of pumps, mine is the one that is sitting out from the engine (you can get your fingers behind it) and infront of the timing gear cover. once again im running out of time (wanna get it going so i can take it away for christmas) and any help is appreciated.
Thanks

'78 CJ7 Levis......350chev, 4spd Toyota Transm&tran, Toyota difs with ARB front&rear, 2.5" Body lift, 33" BFG Muddies.
OWNER: WEARING ONE BIG ASS GRIN!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Waterpump is leaking......WHATS NEXT??

Thats the Pee hole, thats how GM tells you to buy a new pump. They are cheap, just slap another one on and await your next problem. buy a starter and alternator while your there, Saves the trip later. good luck.

Index of pics
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 03:39 AM

oh, oh, oh! I know! Is the answer a power steering pump? Or was it a bad belt? Faulty hoses? AW damn, NOW I remember, it was a LEAKY CARB!!!!

Just replace the pump, they're cheap, and better in the garage, than on the trail.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 05:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks.. now i just hope i can find a shop open tomorrow (christmas eve)

'78 CJ7 Levis......350chev, 4spd Toyota Transm&tran, Toyota difs with ARB front&rear, 2.5" Body lift, 33" BFG Muddies.
OWNER: WEARING ONE BIG ASS GRIN!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stop spraying it with WD-40 . That will accomplish nothing at all . I am so tired of hearing all of the band-aid tricks from you poor jeepers . Slap on a "new" pump from your Jeep dealer or NAPA . Not a POS from Autozone or other ****ty parts house . Yah Autozone gives you a lifetime warranty but you will spend that lifetime changing out the ****ty parts , been there done that . What a savings for two dollars . I changed out 9 , read that 9 powersteering pumps on my friends Bronco that came from Autozone . Went to the Ford dealer and slapped one on , still going strong and dead quiet .

When it doubt , PUNCH IT !!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 11:37 AM

Just put a new one on. 15 minutes worth of EASY and CHEAP too. AND as much as I really hate to agree with tiny.............even an RUDE as he was, and always is.................DO NOT BUY A CHEAPIE. He is totally right. They are junk. Buy a good one and do it once.

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 10:57 PM

Tiny, man switch to decaf, or you can go try out your manners over at http://www.pirate4x4.com and play those of like mind (not a slam, but it's more appropriate over there). The attitude is not really necessary around here. I hate doing things twice, as many other Jeepers, but refuse to pay dealership prices.

Also remember that Blinky is a relative neophyte around here, as his sig would suggest he is also from down under. Judging by his rig and others I have heard from in OZ, American hardware is as befuddling to them as Land Rover is to most shadetree mechanics here. Give the guy a break.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode