Jeep Q's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep Q\'s

Wow the Jeep board. I removed my shoes before I came in. I am curious about a few things so I thought I would post here. I vacation in TN and wheel the Windrock area. In Oakridge is a small shop called Jims Jeeps. They helped me with a D-60 steering block and a death wobble. They didn't care for my FS Chevy but they still helped me out. Any rate. They put D-60's under the front of Jeeps I was wondering If this axle is cut down or if it is used full width. If it is cut down how is it done. Next question is a CJ8?(The long Jeep) long enough to fit the wheel base of a Short base full size Chevy truck? Thanks for your help answering my questions. Enjoy the curious creation of foam in my Frank-Vee index.

Index of pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 11:25 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Jeep Q\'s

Some guys use full length D60's, some have them cut down, but I don't know how they cut them down. The wheel base on the CJ8 (Scrambler) is 104".

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 11:29 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Nah, keep your shoes on, you may drop something on your feet or burn them with welding slag.

The answer to your D60 question is both. Some people run them full length and like the added width for stability, and some people like to cut them down to fit on the narrow trails. It depends on the terrain, what you're doing with it, and personal preference.

Part of the reason people cut them down is the width of the CJ frames, which are narrow. I am running D44's, and had to outboard the front springs for the axle to fit.

The answer to your other question is also yes. I run a Scrambler, and have swapped in an SM465 with the attached NP205 (twin sticked of course), and my rear driveshaft is still 33" long. I'd like to do the Doubler in a few years, when money is available. The CJ-8 (Scrambler) has a 103.5" wheelbase, and some peope stretch it a little if they need more room. The Scrambler is hard to find though, as only 28,000 of them were made.

A YJ (Square headlighted Wrangler) would make a nice swap, just find a body and frame and start from there. The YJ frames are stronger and wider, and the YJ tub can be modified to achieve a longer wheelbase. There are a few guys running modified YJ's on here. They are also much easier to find, usually aren't as rusted (the newer ones are even galvanized), and are cheaper than even a rusted out Scrambler.

There are people on this BBS running every tranny from NV4500's to Clarks in their jeeps, and even some that have grafted the jeep body onto a Blazer frame (complete with 12 and 10 bolt axles).

Interesting graft of the Hummer like grill/hood onto your truck. There are a few of them in a junkyard up here. What did you make the snorkel out of?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 11:33 PM

The D60 axles are ran at full length, and some are cut down, its all a matter of design and/or prefference.
When they cut them down, they are usually cut down on the long side and often the short side is left alone, provided the diff is on the side you ned with the short side left in place. For shortening, the knuckle is marked for position on the axle tube and the welds are ground away. The knuckle is removed and the axle tube is cut back to where the length is desired, and re welded into place. The axle shaft is then cut the same amount and resplined, or new shafts are custome made.
As far as the length of a scrambler being long enough for a short box, regular cab Chevy. It would probably be real close, it could deffinitely be made to work.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:12 AM

Welcome to the jeep board, definetally keep your shoes on (boots if your a mud man), muddier the better, if your foot isn't glued to the pedal with mud (like mine was today) you anin't wheeling hard enough. The hot ticket width wise seems to be a 63" wide 14 bolt from a cab truck and then a front narrowed to the same width, but then others leave them wide (as full size truck wide). CJ8 scramblers are really hard to find and it would probably be better to just but an aftermarekt tub. If you are any where near indiana i know of cj8 in pretty good shape that is for sale. Also what's with your bumper being so low, it looks like you could get a great approach angle if you moved it up a little more.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hood was made completely from hous hold foam. I wish I knew where to find that hummer hood. The snorkel is mostly sewer connections with a K&N from a explorer up top. Having trouble interfacing ot carb though.$" non-perferated sewer drain, to 4" to clay rubber boot at carb. the 90 deg angle in sewer pipe was notched and duct taped for now. The top end goes into various stove pipe and rubber adapters. I will stick all links and pics below. Thanks for everyones help. Looking for a body to get rid of mine. Was considering making my own out of fiberglass but cant figure out door latches and such. I thought of Jeeps because of thier simplicity. Thnaks again.

Snorkel

Index of pics
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tacked the bumper and gaurd on for a ride I wanted to go on. I am working and a Class 3 hitch mount that I can flip the bumper down for road use up for trail use. It is really low now. Ganna redo front so it opens forward but I need to move radiator to bed first. Thnaks.

Index of pics
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 02:23 AM
I Do This For The Glory

That Hummer Hood is in a yard up here, they have several of them. I can give you the number if you'd like. I have NO idea of what they'd ask.

They also have Hummer rims, tires, and run-flats for sale cheap. With 7" of backspacing, it'd be a good way to tuck your tires in some.

They have a ton of junked Hummers and other cool military vehicles in the lot, it's really large.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode