86 CJ7 SOA - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

86 CJ7 SOA

Im getting ready to do a spring over on my 86 CJ7. I bought new spring perches and a drop pitman arm. What else do I need. I have heard stories about new drive shafts and steering componets. Would lowering my t-case help some of that problem. Is this going to be a coslty mistake or should I just save my bucks and purchase a factory lift.
Help

86 Cj-7 in need of some serious lift!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 07:18 PM

Re: 86 CJ7 SOA

Well, done right, you will not need the drop pitman arm with a SOA. What I did was to buy a lift for my 86, knowing that I would one day convert to SOA. Well the day is getting near for me and my SOA. Do alot of homework, and ask alot of questions before you get into it. I guess what Im saying is to know exactly what your going to do and know what your getting your self into prior to getting in too deep. Axle wrap was the thing that concerned me most, but I got a new welder for Xmas, so Im getting ready to make the anti wrap stuff and dive head first into it.
Good luck.

TJ

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 08:14 PM
sentinel

Depending on how much extra drive shaft length you have in the yoke, you may have to lengthen your existing ones or buy new shafts all together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 09:56 PM

a soa usually yields 5 to 6 inches of lift so chances are good that the drive shafts will need a little stretching and the dropped pitman arm will probably be needed too along with longer brake lines and longer shocks and something to control the spring wrapup

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:28 AM

For a soa that works well you will need more than just spring pearches and a drop pit man arm, your drive shafts will probably need to be leangthened, longer break lines, longer shocks, a hi-steer set up, works much better than a drop pitman arm, beefer shackels, an anti wrap bar. If you want a suspension you don't have to think about look into the rubicon express extreme duty 4.5" kit, it's complete w/ drop pitman arm, break lines, sway bar discos, greasable shackels, t-case drop, shocks, quality nice riding springs and a couple other things i can't remember right now. It's about $800 so it's not cheep but if you price it out compared to any other 4" lift with all the fixings it's about the same price.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 02:29 AM
Pooh-Bah

Longer brakelines
Longer drivelines
Longer Shocks
New shock mounts
Dropped pitman arm, or crossover/hi-steer
Traction bar
On a CJ7 you should be able to get away w/o having to lower the t-case (unless you have an extremely long tranny/t-case setup) with the correct shaft/ pinion angle. Depending on the type of wheeling you do, SOA could be a costly way of lifting your JEEP, or it could be perfect. I enjoy the SOA's I have done for the terrain I wheel on.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 02:40 AM
I Do This For The Glory

pbm is right, it can get costly.

I did a swap on a '78 CJ-5 and the guy needed to buy a new rear driveshaft. The old one came right apart it was so short. His new Tom Woods rear CV shaft was about $400. Get something decent for an anti-wrap bar as well.

We extended the brake lines, because the additional flex was unreal, but he had worn out springs.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spend the bucks for the CV driveshaft. Any lift over 2" will cause some type of vibration. Because you are doing the SOA, it means you will be welding the spring perches on top of the axle...if you get the CV driveshaft, then this is the perfect time to align the axle...with the CV, the pumpkin points straight at the transfer case...i.e., the driveshaft is in a straight line with the pinion on the diff...the CV joint takes care of the rest.

After spending many hours with shims and T-case lowering kits...I never was able to get all the vibration out of my driveline with the stock driveshaft...it will always vibrate at some point. Unless you make less than min wage...the CV driveshaft is some of the best money you will spend.

John...southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Rear, Detroit Front, Solid Axle's, Durabak, York Air

They say we learn by our mistakes......I guess thats why we are all so smart.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 04:27 PM
Pooh-Bah

I have raised my motor/tranny/t-case up 1.5", have SOA with CJ7 rear springs all the way around, and run a standard rear shaft w/o any vibrations. I had problems with CV shafts in my CJ5, and with the added length of a CJ7 don't see the need for it.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 05:03 PM

Pat,
I dont run CV shafts either. I went through 3 of them in about 6 weeks, when I 1st installed the 5.0. The centering balls on the H bar would weaken within a week or so (just, street driving) and the CV joint start ratteling like a couple of skeletons screwing in a metal trash can. The 1st one came apart and destroyed the CV, after that I would install the spare, as soon as the noise started. I finaly had a spare built without a CV, and bought a non CV yoke, so that I could do a trail run and not worry about it. There was actually less vibration, so I decided to keep it on full time and see how well the non CV shaft would hold up. I have never looked back, and have not had a shaft fail since. I get no bad vibration either, even on the highway at 70mph.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode