PICS of new tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

PICS of new tires

Here's some pics of my new tires. I ended up going with some 35" BFG's. They're mounted on a 15x8 rim. They fit REAL nice. Well, atleast as far as turning clearance and what not. I need to do some serious trimming. I'm probably gonna slap some lift springs on it once I get stationed in New York. Sorry about the night time shots.

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 04:51 PM

Re: PICS of new tires

Looking Good Jammy are they the new km's? Where's your spare tire? Also did you ever get a front drive shat? It would be really helpful in the NY winters. I think the profile is a little out dated.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 05:36 PM

Looks great Jammy. But then I have a "thing" for red jeeps on 35" BFG M/T's.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
I might even send you a CJ grille for christmas.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 07:17 PM

Jammy,
I wouldnt elevate your ride height, much from where you are now. If you trim your fender wells to TJ flares you will be pretty well set for those tires from what I can see. You may need to trim the rear of the front fender wells back a little further(maybe 1 1/2") than the natural position of the TJ flares, and then just force the TJ flare to the wider position,(they will move that much without noticeable distortion, and will relax to fit ther perfectly after a day or two in hot weather.
Raising the rig more than necessary is just pushing your center of gravity higher. It doesnt seem like much, but it effects your steep climb, and decsent performance, as well as side hilling. I am about to begin a fairly involved re-engineering of lowering my body placement, due to not heading my own advice when I installed the 5.0. I used 3 body spacers, as a quick engineering fix for clearnace at the tranny bell housing. What would have been a couple fo hours of fabbing back then, will now be probably 5 times that to correct now.
2 things to remember when setting up suspension and frame geometry.
1:Gravity is not your friend, and will tug on whatever and wherever it can.
2:Weight and Elevation, are in cohorts with Gravity.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

The only reason I want to go with a slight lift spring is to firm it up a bit, and to help prevent sagging. I was thinking of maybe going with some superlift 1.5" lift springs, or maybe try those JCW 6 leaf HD springs. They're suppose to have about 1" of lift. I'm definetly going to get some TJ flares, but from the looks of it, I don't think I really need the 6" extended ones. I'm not really poking out that far, which is very odd to me! Any ideas why? The axles are 2" wider, the tires are 12.50" wide(probably less), and the rims have around 3.5" of backspacing. I don't really have any rubbing at full lock. Just a little bit. Any ideas on how to limit it so it doesn't turn ALL the way over? I would just like to save the tires a bit from the leaf springs.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 03:49 AM

To limit your steering, you can weld a limiter in place.
If you look at the backside of the lower portion of your knuckles(rearward of where the stock arms are located) you will see a bolt sticking out towards the knuckle Yoke. Sometimes they will be welded in place, sometimes they will be missing, and just the nut will be there. In any case, grind off the old rusty bolt, and just weld a 5/8" bolt solidly to that mount, at whatever length you need to limit your steering where you want it. The new limiting bolt will rotate with knuckle, and limit your steering when it contacts the bottom portion of the Yoke.
I think the HD 6 leaf, military wrapped springs from JCW might be a good choice, but they are almost always on back order.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looking good!! It would be a hell of a difference driving compared to those stockies you had on!! I noticed the difference swaping from 31"s to 33"s. I love that black rim look.....makes it look soooooo much tougher!!

'78 CJ7 Levis......350chev, 4spd Toyota Transm&tran, Toyota difs with ARB front&rear, 2.5" Body lift, 33" BFG Muddies.
OWNER: WEARING ONE BIG ASS GRIN!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What might you suggest if I lack a welder?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Maybe I could find a shop that'll weld something on there for 5$ or something. Or maybe I could look into renting one for a day or so. Then I could weld up some other stuff. Thanks for you help, Jeff!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 03:06 PM

looking nice jammy..
and to think,it use to look so girlish sitting on those stock tires

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 04:48 PM

Someone on the Midsize board often suggests a washer in place, as a shim. No welding nessecary.

Kevin

<font color=red>No fears, no regrets, just a future with a promise.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Wrecked my '89 XJ</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode