tie down straps - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

tie down straps

hey all, I searched and found lots of stuff on how my jeep should be tied down to my trailer, but I am unsure of the strap strength to use. I am considering using 4 2" racheting straps with a strength of 2,500 lbs. I figure thats two on front two on back, 5,000 each end, jeep weighs 4000 +/-. think they will work? I already have them and would prefer not to go out and buy some 5,000 lbs each.
I understand if one breaks, the other will no longer be able to hold the full weight back, and will risk failure also. I am assuming if I mess up bad enough to start breaking them, its to late anyways!
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 03:35 AM

Re: tie down straps

I use (2) 3/8 chains on the rear of the rig. Run it to the axles not the frame or anything else suspended. They are sized so that they position my Jeep in the same spot everytime. In the front I use (2) 2" Ratchet straps to suck the Jeep forward, then I hook (1) 3/8 safety chain.These are also attached to the axles. Then I use my front winch, hooked to a trailer D ring, to suck down the front suspension, and another strap in the rear to suck down the rear suspension. This will give it a more stable ride.
It actuall isnt that time consuming doing it this way, I can hook everything up in less than 10 minutes.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

whats the load rating on the straps? I have thought of the Idea of using chains, but I was considering 4 straps because I already had them.
I can kinda understand why you strap down both the axles and the frame on yours(being lifted and all), mine is still stock height, so no longer springs or anything, I don't think mine will bounce enough to cause problems.
thanks
surveyboy

by they way, how was the flight? its a great day today!

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 01:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I like the way H8 does it, overkill is the word. You can never have enough straps or chains holding it down. God forbid it ever did come off. I personally use four 2in straps. I go to the frame on all four. My thought is it pulls down the suspesion and the jeep cant move. Once my truck box comes in for xmas and i mount the winch, in the box, on the trailer, my plan is going to change because i am changing the mounting points. I am going to have the front chained down, on the axle, like h8 said, hook up the chains then back up. That way it is in the same postion every time. Then the trailer winch will pull down the front end. The back i will still only tie down to the frame crossing the straps. I also run a saftey chain to the front axle.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run 4 ratcheting, automotive straps with one on each corner. I have axle straps which are a short strap which goes around the axle tubes with a ring on each end. The ratchet straps attach to these and then to the trailer. I can't remember the load rating, but they are intended for tying vehicles down to a trailer. They came from Northern tool. I used to run a chain through the d-rings on each bumper and use a chain boomer to load the suspension and tie it down. I never liked that method to well because the suspension was compressed for the whole ride and no matter how tight it was boomed down, it could possibly come undone if on a rough or bumpy road.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 06:49 PM

My 2" straps were purchased at a trailer manufacturer, and they are rated at 10,000 lbs.
The reason I dont like attaching to the frame or bumpers for my primary retaining points, is three fold.
1: The frame is in a constant state of change in relation ship to the trailer as it flexes the suspension. This translates to inconsistent securing of the load. For example, if my ride hieght has deviated from one loading to the next, due to weight changes, spring wear or damage, or suspension modifications, then my initial placement chains would need to be adjusted.
2: The axles are lower than the frame so the angle is more in line with controlling the loads, of accelerating and stopping. The higher you go, with your main retainers, the more cantilevered they become, and the more initial tension you will need to exert to achieve the same holding power of the straighter retention.
3: The amout of tension I would need to place my suspension under to control the 16"- 20" of usable travel in either compression or droop, would leave me with either loose retainers or a very compressed suspension. I do not like the idea of compressing my suspension for those extended periods.
By going to the axles(and I use the same, short 2" straps, around the axles that Snowtow mentioned) with the chain, in the rear, no adjustments are even neccessary if a rear tire is flat, due to the very shallow angle of the attachment. This allows my securing of the suspension by means of front and rear tension to be minimal, as it is only controlling roll and pitch of the body and frame, and is not retaining the vehicles position, or security on the trailer.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 07:41 AM
utahjeepr

I use 4 10,000 lb straps attached to the axles, but I go in an X pattern. Say this ( I I ) is my jeep axles looking down on my "invisible" CJ, my tie downs look like this ( XI IX ). More secure that way.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode