350/th350 switch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

350/th350 switch

I have a 4wd chevy that I don't ever drive. (I spend too much time in the jeep!!) I was thinking about taking the motor and trans out of it and dropping in my CJ. i was going to buy an AA adapter to bolt it up to a D300 and clock the tcase till it would lay almost flat if i could. I know i can clock it just not sure how much. I am sure one of you has done this. How much trouble is it?

i know i have to change the motor mounts. Any particular brand to look for? Should i just buy all AA stuff to convert it? Also, what is the website for No Excuses? I done a web search and couldn't find it. Thanks, Wade

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Will trade extra kidney for Jeep parts!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 350/th350 switch

You realize that this engine-trans will be longer than your current setup. Although it may not be much longer. The 4X4 THD350 has a shorter tailshaft. You may have lengthen the front staft and shorten the rear. I used the weld-in mounts from 4 Wheel Drive Hardware. They worked fine. They have poly bushings. You didn't say what year engine you are swapping in. They all are a tight fit. My LT1 with the HEI distributor is a very tight fit against the firewall.

I am not familar with the "clocking" you refer to to lay the case flat. I assume you are rotating the front shaft drive unit to slide the case back further.

85 CJ7,Chevy LT-1,700R4,NP208,4 1/2 lift,33's
77 Blazer,350 Cowl Induction,TH350,NP203 8", 33's

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 11:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am not familiar with Jeep T-cases but why wouldnt you keep the GM T-case? The 203 is a good case, and if it is a 205 the low range suffers a bit but it is the strongest OEM case out there, all gear driven.Of course you would save in adapters to. Ahhh while I was typing I was think that the pumpkin in on drivers side then the GM case wont work. Did I answer my own post? Just curious. Thanks.

Index of pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

The reason for the D300 case is it has a lower crawl than the NP203 i have and it is shorter. I can also clock the D300 to smooth up the belly of my jeep. With the D300 i can also twin stick it and put in Teralow 4:1 gears later if i choose. Most likely i will do the axle and tub swap i am doing now and wait to put a V8 in till next winter or i will run out of money and be Jeepless during the summer!! I don't think i could take that.. hehe

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Will trade extra kidney for Jeep parts!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 11:48 PM

Some people have made thier own clocking ring, and others have bought them. the one consideration you have to make is whether or not you need a body lift to make room for the xfer case. I got my xfer casse adapter from Novatek (SP?) about 5 years ago, and I havent had any trouble with it at all.

TJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode