'03 Rubicon Edition TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'03 Rubicon Edition TJ

SOmeone on another board posted the write up article, and since was mentioned here, thought I'd send the link.. pretty cool, front rear D44's, lockers, 4.10's, disc brakes front and rear, rocker guards, factory 31'' MTR's. nothing that can't be done aftermarket.
http://jeepboard.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ult...&f=13&t=000488

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 07:42 PM

Re: \'03 Rubicon Edition TJ

I just resurrected a couple of old posts that contains this discussion... see...

"Hard-core off-road package?" (almost a year ago!!)

and

"Am I the first or last to hear"( from last November)

Bob in Ma.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 07:43 PM

What do all the Doubting Thomases say now?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know, but this link has a picture of the whole write up in case others haven't seen

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 12:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

To me that sounds like the best Jeep ever offered from the factory. I also recognize that Jeeps are built not bought.
If this Jeep really is released, can we afford to depend on the "yuppies" to support this Jeep with their dollars alone. Nearly all of our sought after parts were bought new at some point on some vehicle. Why not a Jeep? Maybe I'll have to to check the depths of my pockets... Crap they got holes in them...

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 12:14 PM

If its reasonably priced($25,000) Id go for it, just to get all the goods warrantied.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys on the way!
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Square-Eyed Jeeps Unite!!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 12:20 PM
I Do This For The Glory

$25K? Are you kidding? In 1996, our TJ cost $24K, so it'll be a LOT more than that.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 01:11 PM
Veteran

I can see it going for around $27,500. I believe it would be an extra $3500 in options.

2001 TJ, Far from Stock
83 CJ7 Laredo, Nearly Stock
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 01:35 PM

Ok, lets review the latest round of "hey! I heard DC is releasing a serious Jeep for the public".
I have recieved a few E mails, that I am a little harsh with my opinion of DC, and the TJ. So 1st lets get one thing straight. I like the TJ just fine, just like I like the CJ and the YJ. What I get tired of hearing is that the TJ is some kind of wonder rig from the factory, when it is as anemic as the YJ, and has less favorable factory off road features than a CJ. And most of all it is too expensive, both in terms of original cost, and in upgrades.
Lets list the most expensive elements of a TJ upgrade.
Suspension is number 1: A quality 4" or taller long arm suspension, if performed at a shop will cost you about $3000, the no holds barred version will be about $5000 +, will this change with the Rubicon eddition? Not likely.
New axles 2: This will save about $7000 if you were to purchase shop built and swapped D44's(this would be a couple grand more if Dynatracs were used).
Gearing and lockers 3: This is being fairly well addressed, with the Rubicon, provided the lockers really are lockers, and they prove reliable, but we will assume at this point that they are and will. Savings about $2000, but was addressed with your choice of ratio and lockers with the above axle swap.
Gearing in the T case 4: This is also addressed very well and saves about $1200 if shop installed. One point of concerne is will their be any way to twin stick it?
Slip Yoke Eliminator and new drive shaft 5: No one has addressed this point so I dont know, so that is about $800 in questionable mods in limbo.
Locking front hubs 6: Again no one has addressed this issue, but I cant see it as being a viable factory option, unless they go to a 5 on 5 1/2 lug pattern. if the factory sends the TJ out with 5 on 4 1/2 then the conversion to locking hubs will most likely be a Ford ranger light weight version, and will run in the $1000 range to convert, if it is 5 on 5 1/2 the conversions should be possible with normaly available D44 parts, but a store bought shop installed version will likely be $750- $1000. These items would already be addressed with new axles above.
Bigger tires and wheels will remain the same between the 2
Most other mods should also be about the same, but they will more than likely add quite a few upgrades to the package to make it appealing ie: high amp alternators, Optimas, etc....????.
SO you will save the cost of new axles, and an installed 4:1 kit, or about $8000.
You will need to spend about $1000 for locking hubs. for a total savings at the axles of about $7000 dollars.
You will still need to spend the cost of a high quality lift, an SYE and CV drive shaft, or about $4000 - $6000.
You will also need to spend about $2500 for wheels, tires and winch to make it fully capable.
I would estimate the cost of an RE TJ at about $34K, but lets assume $30k plus aprox $7,500 = $37,500.00
RE TJ Total: $37,500.00
Lets buy a used TJ for $13k add the axles, and 4:1 kit as well as the $7500 in wheels tire, and winch of the TJ and we $13K + $7k + $1000 + $7500, = $27,500
Built TJ = $27,500
Now in actuality, I think you could do the built up TJ for about $20K, and I think the RE TJ will really cost you about $40k when modified. A built CJ or YJ costs about $20k also.
SO it(the RE TJ) will be axpensive, but it would also be a very, capable, once built to this level, I would prefer lower axle gears but that would add another $1000 or so I would assume(dont know what these new lockers will be like to swap gears).
$40K is a lot to spend,.. The Jackyl is for sale right now with a factory warrantied crate FI 4.3, dynatrac axles, and more, for $30k negotiable.
The biggest clincher though guys, is the fact that no dealer I have talked to yet (2) in the Sacremneto area, (2) in the So Cal area, has even heard that they will be getting this machine, and they would not even take a reserve deposit at any of the 4. Just because an Off Road rag gets a tip from a zealouse, or even manipulative marketing dept, does not mean that it is so. I would still be very surprised to see it ever released in the full Ballyhoo'd version.
Im to much of a "show me,anything to prove your sincerity" and Ill believe it" kinda guy. And they have not made one improvement to the weak links of the TJ since it was introduced. They cant get rid of the slip yoke, but they can mass produce a fully capable no holds barred TJ????? Yeah right!
I would like to seee it come to fruition. I think it would be cool to see just how stuck the neophites could get that thing.

So a rubicon Eddition TJ will cost; Purchase price

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 01:57 PM

I sure hope jeep doesnt messup like all the other manufacturers and just make it an appearence package. Look at at ford with the bullitt mustang, If jeep just gives us the wheels and badging I will be mad, but if not I will shell out 30k for one, and throw my 2002 taco DC trd piece of crap in the trash!!!!!

85 CJ7 4inches 33ssr's infinite projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode