Harmonic Balance Install - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 05:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Harmonic Balance Install

Okay, did I do a stupid thing???

I am putting my 360 together and when I put the harmonic balancer on, I used a big socket and a hammer. It required some solid pounding, but nothing outrageous. Then I was at the store and read an article in some car magazine that listed the 10 biggest "blunders" for engine building. One was Hammering on the harmonic balancer. Did I screw up something important?

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Harmonic Balance Install

Shawn, I hate to tell you this, they make tools for putting the harmonic balancer on so you don't screw up the balancer AND your crankshaft. The tool lines things up straight and kind of eases it on, many people have screwed up the end of their crank beating it on. I suggest you examine the balancer for damage, and pull it off with a PULLER, examine the crank, and put it back on properly with the PROPER TOOL!

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jeepfinder-

Brad is right. My general rule of thumb is that the big hammer is only used when taking things apart, not assembly.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check the end thrust on your crankshaft to make sure that it isn't out of spec. Hopefully you didn't screw it up.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 12:26 AM

Do yourselves a favor...

Hell, don't worry about the thrust face, you can buy oversize bearings to take care of a mashed thrust face, ....

You had better stop and think a minute about hammering on a cast iron crankshaft!
No matter how many times I see and hear this same story, it never ceases to amaze me that people can still be this ignorant (not to be confused with stupid.... yet...).

If you have no other means to install a harmonic balancer, get a piece of threaded stock that fits the crankshaft snout hole, screw it all the way in, put a large washer (or stack of washers with a little grease in between them) and use a correctly threaded nut to press the balancer back on.

If you can find a little flat roller bearing (like cam shaft thrust bearings) to slip in between the washers, it will make the job a lot easier...

Another common mistake is to use a impact wrench to take the balancer off. This little screw up has been the death of more than a few balancer pullers...

If you hammer on a balancer, either on or off, you have probably broken the bond of the rubber between the hub and the dampening ring, rendering the balancer useless for anything but making a doorstop.

Do yourselves a favor, buy one of the cheap harmonic balancer pullers, under $25, and worth every penny when you need one.
Buy a piece of threaded stock and a couple of nuts that fit it, along with the largest, thickest washers you can find to use as a tool to press the balancer back on.

You won't hate yourselves nearly as much in the mornings....

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bummer... I was afraid of that. How do I check the end play of the crank, and how do I check to see if my harmonic balancer is still good?

thanks

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:01 PM

End play is easy, attach a dial indicator to the block with the indicator in contact with the crankshaft snout.
Pry the crank forward and backward until you have a end play reading.
Check it against the specs in your rebuild manual.
----------------

Balancer is a little harder...

Inspect the hub and ring VERY closely for cracks. If you find one, you need a new balancer.

If the balancer is used, start by looking to see if the rubber is 'domed up' above the metal halves, or if the rubber has visible cracks.
In both cases the balancer is shot. You need a new balancer.

You can also pull (hands only) on the outside ring of the balancer to see if it moves. (sliding on the rubber instead of moving with the rubber).
If it does, you need a new balancer.

Roll your engine over to TDC on #1 compression. You will need to use a wooden dowel rod in the sparkplug hole to find TDC. (chop stick works really well)
(this is a good time to verify your distributor timing, rotor should be pointing at #1)
See if the balancer is pointing to TDC ( Zero '0'). If it is not, you need a new balancer.
(Everyone should do this test at every tune up. It's fast, easy, and finds the problems before they find you...)

You will have to preform this check several times after running the engine to see if the outside ring is 'slipping'...
(slipping, rubber bond broken between outside ring and hub, letting the outside ring move around the hub)
Luckily, it's real easy, find compression stroke on #1, and use your wooden dowel rod to find TDC of the piston.
If the ring comes up anything but '0' (Zero) you need a new balancer.
(Piston to Crankshaft Position never changes, so that's your constant, check everything else against that constant.)

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't have a dial indicator and have no idea how to use one. Is this a tool I should rent? Will most auto parts stores have one (with instructions?).

Thanks

Shawn

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 02:10 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Question for ya Aaron , what are the rules regarding replacement if he needs one ? Aren`t the harmonic balancers unique to each AMC engine ? I had to find a used one for a 304 one time and besides being hard to find , the one I did get , of course had different balance holes drilled in it . It just concerned me thats all . A machinist said I should bring in the components and the used balancer and get it all re-balanced as a unit.

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:01 PM

As long as the balancing weight is in the same location and the same size, on each of the balancers than you should be ok. those holes are final balancing adjustment form the factory!

Rodney C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode