Ok im stumped - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 06:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok im stumped

Ok so i have had my 350 running (found the previous problem...{wire on distributer}) now today i had my exhaust done properly and when it got home i wanted to hear how it runs with the new mufflers. went to start 'er up and the starter motor started clicking and barely turned the engine over. so i tried jump starting it coz i thought the battery may be flat. it started for about 10 seconds spluttered then conked out. ok try so i tried it again but it started clicking again. now after several hours & several attempts still F#$%ing clicks! ive had it off several times, put shims under mounting bolts to get it a bit further away from flywheel. CLICK. ive had it off and put power to starter to see if its stuffed (it shouldn't be its brand new)......it spins, throws out properly. so i put it back in.......CLICK. ive taken the sparkplugs out to see if compression is too great....still clicks. since i last started it i have put fan belts on, so i took them off.....and guess what.....STILL CLICKS.
I have absolutely no ideas left to try and i am running out of time (wanna take it away for christmas break) all i have left to do is: put the radiator in, put the drivers seat in and work out why the hell it wont start.
so any ideas,hints anything would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

'78 CJ7 Levis......350chev, 4spd Toyota Transm&tran, Toyota difs with ARB front&rear, 2.5" Body lift, 33" BFG Muddies.
OWNER: WEARING ONE BIG ASS GRIN!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 06:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Ok im stumped

try a starter relay... the thing the alternater and battery are connected too..
if that doesnt work.. make sure you have a good connection on your starter.. then make sure everything is grounded properly and cleanly.. then recharge your battery.. and if it starts fine.. but doesnt run for very long.. then your alternater is dead.. not keeping the battery charged.. kinda what it sounds like since you stated that you jumped.. and then it ran for a few.. and died.. running off the juice in the battery..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 06:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

replace your starter solinoid.....they're like $10...could be the problem...

I'm sorry, you have dialed a number that has been disconected or is no longer in service. If you feel you have reached this recording in error, please check the number and try your call again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 07:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

From what you're saying it still looks like the battery is shot. You said that the engine actually started ...ran for about 10 seconds and quit. At this point it has nothing to do with the starter....or am I missing something here?

When you jumped it did it turn over like a fully functional starter? If yes then I'd look at a new battery ...if no check your cables.

If the battery is truly shot it may hold just enough of a charge to excite the altenator for a few minutes to keep the engine running. Once you go below the threshold of the Zener diodes (I think if I recall correctly) you're done.

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 08:29 AM
jeepfiend

Could be a corroded cable. I would check the cables and test the battery.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 09:01 AM
Addict

You had somebody else do the exhaust?
Did you check the starter wiring and make sure nothing is hitting the new exhaust and got melted?
What did they use to weld the exhaust? Gas/electric?
If they used a Mig,Tig or Arc welder, they could have fried something in the electrical if they didn't remove your ground connection to the battery.
If the starter wants to work off the motor then I don't think it is the solinoid
The brushes or armiture might be bad/dirty in the starter. You could pull the tail cover off the starter and make sure everything is clean and the rear bushing is lubed.
Good luck with your findings.
Ken

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 12:52 AM

Check/ Clean/ Replace your battery cables.
LOAD TEST THEM.
(Sounds like your starter is load testing them and they are coming up short)

Make sure your heavy ground goes to the starter bolt.
Make sure the fender the starter solenoid is on, and the engine is properly grounded.

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 09:49 PM

I agree with checking the wires. I had a similar problem with mine, and it ended up being the new starter that I got from Schucks Auto Parts. I went through 6 starters from there in a approx 1 month. I got my money back and went to Napa, and i havent had a problem since.

TJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode