Iron Duke History- who knows the true story!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Iron Duke History- who knows the true story!!

I got into a debate with some younger Jeepers on another board (a 4 banger board). Someone asserted that the Iron Duke was a Pontiac motor. I said that the original Iron Duke was a 4 cylinder available in the 60's Chevy Nova line and in one year (I'm not sure '64-65) was the only year that you could get a 4, 6, or V8 in the same car. I assume that GM brought the Iron Duke out of mothballs for the introduction of the Xbody since it wouldn't make sense to design a new one (given the time frame) and that the current 4 bangers in production (the plagued aluminum Vega) was not an option.

They assert that the Iron Duke didn't exist before 1974. This I know is untrue- unless GM just adopted the displacement and name "Iron Duke" for the heck of it.
I know that Pontiac redesigned the 151 and made the "Tech IV" but I have no idea if it is based on the original 60's 4 banger (or- if redesigned, the 70's version).

Anyone know "the real story"? I felt like I fell out of the valley that time forgot.......

TIA

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 07:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Iron Duke History- who knows the true story!!

The Iron Duke is a Pontiac engine. The Iron Duke first came out in 1977 in GM vehicles like the down sized Monza. The Iron Duke has a cross flow head, the intake and exhaust are on different sides of the head. The Iron Duke is an Over Head Valve engine. The GM 4 cylinders of the early 70's where Over Head Cam engines with 140 cubic inches.

In 1980 GM redesigned the Iron Duke block for FWD vehicles, the most visible modification to the Iron Duke block was the bellhousing bolt pattern. Several old castings of the Iron Duke block that shared the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern were sold to AMC to help AMC meet a Fleet mileage requirement until AMC could bring there own 4 cylinder into production.

dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 07:59 AM
Way Outta Control

Yep, I think it's true...

Everything I ever read pointed to this great little engine being used in everything from a Fiero to S10's with Nova's included. That's a wide model platform. The Iron Duke did seem a mainstay in the GM engine stable. The engine was cheap to produce in mass numbers, upgradeable, easy to fix and maintain and offered the necessary ruggedness sought for in a Jeep.

IMHO it's a testament to good engineering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 09:34 AM

I remember it this way:
The GM 151ci 4cyl used in Jeeps from 1980 to something like mid-year 1983 was a Pontiac engine.
The original Iron Duke was a 153ci displacement 4cyl designed (by Chevrolet) to power Chevy's new compact car, the ChevyII (Nova). The new car and both of it's new engines (also a 7 main bearing 6cyl - 230ci I think) debuted in 1962. All three were new designs. The Iron Duke was no performance monster but was durable and trustworthy. Also, I think the ChevyII was the first of the GM X-bodied vehicles.
In the late 70s the Chevy engine was replaced by the Pontiac engine in GM vehicles. The Pontiac Iron Duke had very little, if anything, mechanically in common with the Chevy Iron Duke. I think the name was because it (the Pontiac engine) was designed as a replacement for the original Chevy Iron Duke and GM wanted the 'name recognition' as the Chevy Iron Duke had earned itself a decent reputation. The same Pontiac Iron Duke that was used in many of the small RWD GM vehicles was also used in the CJ line. It also was durable and trustworthy, yet no screamer - like it was intended to be. The Pontiac Iron Duke was the last engine designed & built by Pontiac Motor Division as in the early 80s all GM engine development/engineering was combined from the separate divisions into one body called GM Motors Division or something like that (it has changed and grown since but I can't remember/don't know the details). Throttle body then port injection was added to the Iron Duke in the 80s where our friend also lost it's fine name to the TechIV nomenclature. The bellhousing bolt pattern was changed when the engine was adapted for use in FWD vehicles. Otherwise the engine was still same basic design from the 70s and some parts will interchange, (kinda like the AMC designed 150ci still in Chrysler built Jeeps today) however I don't know if it remains in production now.

I could probably hunt up some reference text to back this information up (if you need it for your 'debate'). Most of the above is from memory of when I did some searching on the history of the engine.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

So I didn't just imagine that the "Iron Duke" (the original) did, in fact, exist in 196x. Gosh, I felt like a piece of history was neatly fabricated within the convolutions of my personal grey matter and had no basis in fact.

Thanks so much!!! This has happened to me before. Once Michelob had Eric Clapton do a commercial for them. He did a really nice version of "After Midnight". For years I got the strangest looks from people when I talked about the "beer commercial" version of the song. No one knew what I was talking about. When I went to the record shop no "different" version of the song appeared on any of the albums (original copyrights) in the racks. I finally called a radio station since I knew that it had some air play during the commercial's time frame. I found out that the song was only available on a special 4 CD set called "Cross Roads". I may be crazy...but I'm not that sophisticated in my psychosis....there was no way I could have composed that song.........and there's no way I imagined all the conversions and intricate memories that I've had about this motor. When someone says the Iron Duke ...I automatically thought of the original. Then, it seemed, the the original was a figment of my imagination. I really was begining to question my "soundness" here[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 02:12 PM

lol - GeeAea

too funny. maybe you should enjoy one (or two) of those Michelobs while you listen to the entire Crossroads box set end to end and wind out alittle.

ahhhhhh.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode