Howmny inchs with 2.5 in yj sprngs and SOA on CJ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 02:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Howmny inchs with 2.5 in yj sprngs and SOA on CJ??

Guys, looking at a 81 CJ5 with scout 44's under it. It has 2 and a half inch YJ springs and they are SPOA. How many inches in lift is this. What is the normal amount of lift you get in inches from a SPOA, and how much with the 2.5 inch springs??? Ive heard 5 for a stock spring SPOA so around 7.5 total for this jeep???????

Mooseykat
85 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O.
32" Big O At's on stock susp.
True dual flomaster 40 series mufflers.
Paint and custom center overhead console soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 06:49 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Howmny inchs with 2.5 in yj sprngs and SOA on CJ??

Yes, that's about right. That's TALL for that jeep, any driveline vibrations?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

and thats if it has stocker shackles. any caster correction? thats a lot of work even for CV shafts to take care of.

92 FullSize Blazer Sport 3" 285/75 Geolander MT x8000i Trans4mer 4.10s
65 CJ5 302 Ford 4.5" 34/9.50 TSLs Warn OD 4.27s
79 Scout 6" 33/12.50 TSLs 4.88s Welded Diffs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:22 AM

Sounds like you could run 38's with that set up, mossey you keep finding jeeps that are other peoples junk. I'd look for a cj that isnt' that buit, you are going to have problems with that much lift, especially on a cj 5. Do you want to drive to indiana to find a cj? I know of a guy that has a ton of them and they start at about a grand. Look for a cj that isn't really built a ton and that's built right, look for things like if it's lifted it has extended brake lines and drop pit man arm, or if it has a rear loceker it has 1 piece axles or a d44, or if it's soa it has proper steering correction, good caster on the axles, extended drive shafts (probably cv joints front and rear), if it has big tires (heavy 33's and larger) the drive train is beefed up. You dont' need the jeep right away so take your time, check odd sources and look around, check with the local clubs and see if anybody wants to get rid of a beater. I'd the "best build up" cj would be a '76-'79 cj 7 with a 258, t-18 4 speed, dana 20 t-case, narrow track d30/m20, the axles arn't the beefeist but the rest is a solid jeep, also look for discs up front and power steering, those are things that make a big differance.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 02:16 AM

I think you'd have to be nutz to buy a built Jeep from someone you don't know without fully checking it over.

As is evident by the people on here, built rigs are fixed to the point where they can get on the trail again. No further. If you buy an un-built Jeep, you get all the bells and whistles working with it.
If you buy a built Jeep, there's normally 1 or 2 major things wrong, and all the bells and whistles are broken.

That's just my experiance. Buy somthing that's unbuilt for cheap, then spend the time building it properly.

(Get a YJ, they tend to work better)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well guys, let me assure you that the jeep is not junk. It has a rebuilt 350 and a quadrajet carb that runs great, dual dana 44's with 4.11 gear and a detroit in the rear and a lock right up front. The tires are 35X12.5 mt's on a 15X8 rim. The guy has swapped in an sm420 tranny with a 7.5:1 1st gear adapted to the dana 300 wiht adapters from Novak. The jeep runs great and is built right. The body is in great shape with some rust only on the front fenders. Has a new soft top and interior is in fine condition. Im ahppy with the jeep and will porlly be moving on it after christmas. Ive put in a few pics to look at it. It does around a 1020 on the RTI ramp.

Mooseykat
85 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O.
32" Big O At's on stock susp.
True dual flomaster 40 series mufflers.
CJ trail rig on the way!!
"When in doubt, HAMMER DOWN SON!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-630669-ctcjflat1.jpg (13.0 KB, 2 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 05:46 PM

Mossy, rember the last built rig you looked at? Also this would be "buying a built rig" to the 1st degree, it's one thing if your are elusive and you have been building jeeps for 15 years and can do anything and found a good deal on a super built tj (d60's, 4.0, nv4500, atlass 2, winch, lockers, welder, 5.13's, 38's, completely documented build up). It's another thing if you are just getting into wheeling and havn't done more than change the oil or a u-joint (i'm in this boat) and should get some experiance building your own jeep, you will run into problems with this rig (it's old, newest it could be is 15 years and it has lots of "swaped in parts" ask joeycj55 about this, his jeep has a 4.3, th350, and a soa that was all done by the pervious owner, he has had a fun time finding parts for his rig and there are issues). How much do they want for this beast? I know if i had a jeep on 35's (been wheeling on and off for 2 years) I'd get in more trouble than good, i would try things that i just wouldn't try on 30's, i would think i could do things i couldn't do and i would really mess up the jeep. I'd say look at a rig on 33's max, spring under, stock or amc engine, good frame, good manual tranny (manual is preferance, but make sure you don't buy a rig w/ a sr4 tranny, the t4-/t-5 are marginal, t176 and t18 are what i would look for) that's built right, though most likely you will get a project, if you want to drive up to indiana i know of a guy with a ton of cj's starting at a grand (his e-mail is [email protected] tell him i sent ya and what you are looking for).

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 06:34 PM

Wouldn't that make about 5-6" of lift on a CJ? 2.5" YJ springs look almost like stock CJ springs?

Rodney C
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 07:44 PM

Moosey,
That's a pretty tough drivetrain. As far as the axles are concerned it should be pretty reliable at the 35"-36" tire range. The crawl ratio is plenty low enough. The engine should have plenty of power, but carbuerated would certainly not be my 1st choice.
Im sure you are chomping at the bit, thinking about behind the wheel of that bad boy,....but there really will be some issues. The 1st thing I would be concerned with is the cooling system of that SBC in a CJ5. The SBC will fit pretty tight in a 5, so stuffing a 4 core radiator with a large diameter fan is usually out of the question. The solution is usually to keep a stock sized radiator as far forward as possible and run an electric fan either pushing or pulling. That set up is not an addequate cooling system, for an SBC in many conditions. If he says he has no overheat problems at all, when asked, I would seriously question his intgrity. Not being summer time it will be hard to really test drive it, but i wopuld be very surprised to see that set up not start to run 240 and up, in 90 degree stop and go traffic(about the equivelant of rock crawling), probably border line hot pulling a grade on the highway also, in any kind of summertime heat. Also check and see how they addressed the tight placement of the distributer cap, it will be tight against the firewall or in the passenger compartment depending on the engine location, but you can get a good look into the thought process and application of problem solving by the way this particular issue is handled. Look to see if the firewall has been hacked away, or if components that were moved are duct taped and/or held in place by bailing wire. Its just a good place to look at the quality of the swap.
Steering can be a problem also, has the steering been modified to a power steering set up, these ps swaps are very often hack jobs, done without strengthening the frame or even hacking the frame up and not propperly reinforcing. Again it may be fine but its a good place to look. Check the frame at the spring hangers, and cross members for cracks, or shoddy repairs. Check if it has an anti wrap bar, it will need one. Look at the general condition of the charging system. Dip the corner of a dark rag into the D44 filler plugs and see if the gear oil is old, sparkly, stinky, milkish white, if it is, it probably isnt the end of the world, but it is a sign of poor maintenance, and a good negotiating tool.
The suspension doesnt look too tall, but its also not, as tall as you he says. I would say its sitting at about 6 inches judging by the relationship of the fenders to the 35" mt tires.

For comparison, mine is setting at about 9", above 38.50 tires.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 07:51 PM

IT IS SCREAMING "I NEED A ROLL CAGE!!!!"

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode