Engine dies when clutch is pressed in - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Engine dies when clutch is pressed in

I'm having a little problem with my YJ dying when I put the clutch in and let it coast. It's happened about 4-5 times today. Funny thing is, this never happened before. Then a guy was curious about the self-diagnostics on my YJ, so he checked my codes. He came up with four. I don't remember the numbers. But one was for my speedo, which isn't hooked up yet. One for some A/C relay, and I lack A/C. There was a code 12 that he couldn't find in his book, but thought it was maybe that I unhooked my battery recently. And the other was a code 21 I beleive. Had something to do with the O2 sensor. But I just replaced that damn thing 6 months ago after I ripped the wires out 4x4n. Anyone go any ideas on what about be wrong? Also, I did I cycled the ignition 3 times and got the flashing light for the codes, but how do I read it? How do you get 21, 12, etc out of it? Thanks!

UPDATE: I think I figured out howto read the codes. Here's what I got.

12 Battery or computer recently disconnected
33 Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted (may be in the wide-open-throttle cutoff circuit)
15 No speed/distance sensor signal
21 Oxygen sensor signal doesn't change (stays at 4.3-4.5V). Probably bad oxygen sensor
55 End of codes

Everything is fine except for code 21. Think I just got a bum O2 sensor? Hopefully the parts store will warranty it out.

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 01:02 AM

Re: Engine dies when clutch is pressed in

Kinda sounds like a vaccuum leak.

TJ

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Take a look under the dash maybe there is wires from the ignition that have the outside worn off and short against the metal clutch pedal arm when it's depressed.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that battery computer disconnected recently sounds interesting because the computer should keep the engine running when its about to stall...my YJ has fallen below normal idle a couple of times but the computer always keeps it going. Reset the codes and see if that code comes up again. I would agree that it sounds like the clutch might be hitting a connection and knocking it loose causing the stall...good luck with it anyway though

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

So I shouldn't even worry about code 21? Why does the batter/computer disconnected recently sound interesting? My battery has been disconnected recently. How do I reset the codes?

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Same thing happened to my 94 , when my son was borrowing it, before he bought it. Seems like he was trying to do me a favor by not racking up a lot of miles on his dad's Jeep, so he unhooked the speedo at the t-case. Hooked it back up and problem went away. I think the computer needs to read the speedo.

CTjeepnut

You had to do what to fit those little tires?
I'm sure glad I own a CJ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode