grand cherokee for a tow vehical? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 12:48 PM
HO92YJ

grand cherokee for a tow vehical?

i am in the position that i need to have a second vehicle so when my yj breaks, i can still drive to work. so i got to thinking that i would love to have a Grand cherokee, but would it be able to pull my jeep, if i got the v8 in it? thanks
joe

'92 YJ with some of that good stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: grand cherokee for a tow vehical?

There is a guy on the Mid Sized board that tows his XJ with his ZJ, he says that it works but sometimes can get a little squirelly, I am considering getting a ZJ myself to use as a tow rig, but I am planning on a trailer so that should solve the braking issue, I am going to see if I can borrow my buddies ZJ and a trailer sometime and see how it does before I ante up any cash, should work ok though, my YJ is still street legal so I drive to the close trails, it would only be for out of state trips.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 01:13 PM
Old Hand

I'd agree that it could do it but you just have to be careful. My CJ nearly jack-knifed my suburban before when I took a corner a little too fast.

78 CJ7 Golden Eagle/TR Ignition/Weberized/2" leafs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 01:42 PM

guys guys guys, I guess I am head of the game here.
I tow my YJ on a trailer with my ZJ, It works good, but you do have to be careful and make sure the breaks are working good. Its a good combo, It really screams: "JEEP FANATIC"
When you are towing a CJ or YJ with a Grand Cherokee or Grand Wagoneer.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Grocery Getter, Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - Work in progress.
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast

I have flat towed my YJ with my ZJ (city streets and interstates) without any problems except once when I was coming to a stoplight that went red on me without warning. The ZJ had trouble braking because of some oil on the road. Thank God for ABS. I almost ended up in the intersection.

Trailers are nice but you then have the exta weight which might aproach the max towing weight of a Grand.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
94 Grand Cherokee
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:34 PM

Just make sure that the brakes are in good condition. I tow a 3500lb ski boat on a trailer with no brakes and it gets scary sometimes (but I do tow up into the mountains of VT). I have also towed my CJ on a Uhaul (they are very heavy) trailer with brakes and that was not so bad. Could use a bit more power...mabye you could find one of those 5.9 ZJ's.

'79 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 03:16 PM

Some zj's have a 7k towing rating. Definetally upgrading the beaks when you need new ones to some performance roatars and rear discs if it doesn't all ready have them might help. Some air bags in the rear would probably help handling when you have the jeep hooked up and will keep it from doing a wheelie. A zj w/ a 5.9 would be a sweet tow rig though you might get carried away in the power department and then your breaks would be lacking.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 03:20 PM

yeah a 5.9 would be a killer rig, but a 5.2 will do fine.
Definately not a 4.0..... I have a trailer with two axles as to lower teh tongue weight of my trailer. Its actually pretty light too, I think altogether with teh wrangler and teh traielr, it is about.. 5400 pounds, about 1.5 thousand pounds less then the Grand cherokee Max. It has a nice wide stance, so I feel more stanble on the road.. Its just generally a nicer feel.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Grocery Getter, Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - Work in progress.
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJAroundTheWord....didn't I see your grand wagoneer towing your Grand cherokee towing your wrangler, towing your Williys, towing you flatbed trailor.......??? I swear I saw that 75 foot caravan going down the road once or twice before.....

I'm sorry, you have dialed a number that has been disconected or is no longer in service. If you feel you have reached this recording in error, please check the number and try your call again.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 08:02 AM
HO92YJ

ok, so now 2 more quikies: what is the difference betweeen a wj and a zj? and how do the V8's hold up to high milelage? thanks
joe

'92 YJ with some of that good stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode