Making Metal Flares - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Making Metal Flares

Just wondering if anyone has done this (except for H8 who has done everything) after looking at H8's rig I like the looks of the metal flares but here is the catch. I live in Pa and I need to have my tires covered by flares so they would have to be like 6" wide, but if I make my own I could cut the sheet metal however I want, within reason I still want it to be street legal, to fit 35's. So what do you think is this doable and can it be made to look good, H8 if you have some close ups of your rear flares I would love to see them. Thanks.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:00 PM

Re: Making Metal Flares

I think most people use sheet metal and then 1x1 square tubing to reinforce the edges. There was a cj in jp that had i think 6 or 8" extended flares that were nothing more than heavy rubber attached w/ some simple brackets, seems that if you had them held down securly they would be almost bullet proof.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:41 PM
Little_W

Being basicly FRUGAL, heavy plastic lawn and driveway edging is a useful product for extending fenders. The rocks and trees on our trails will bend any metal endangering valuable tires. This stuff wears well and is easily replaced when damaged. The best job I've seen using the stuff was the job JEEPN did on one of his vehicles.
I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but might provide you with a quick option to cover the law.
Happy Holidays
w

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am planning on going flat fender on my CJ this winter and will be extending them out over the tires. I am going to cut the fender, place a sheet of aluminum or something on top of the fender as close to the hood as possible, than run it down the side of the fender to look like a flare. All one piece. Than I am going to brace it up with 1inch tubing and weld brackets around the tubing for the flare to bolt to it.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 03:45 PM

I was forming a circle fo 14 ga stainless today about 32 inches in diameter, and 3 feet high, and I though : man I could make fenders OR flares with this roller! flares could look just ike M715 fenders, that would be cool

BUT trees would have a fun time bending them up on tight trails.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 06:25 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I once thought that beefier was better as far as the flares were concerned, then I got to see some in action. A friends Rover has 1/4" flares, and while they look nice, they're not functional. Hit a tree or lay over on your side and they just bend the body, not the flare, and the body is much harder to repair. So then you have to reinforce the whole area, and then you're talking about one heavy vehicle. Anything that sticks out will get dented on a trail, no doubt about it.

What I did was to use Lawn Edging, and attach it with snaps. That way I can remove them when wheeling, yet still stay legal on the road with the wider tires.

If they get twisted or destroyed, they only cost $5 for all 4, and they are so flexibe it'd be almost impossible to destroy them.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode