Transmission temp and Vacume gauge ?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Transmission temp and Vacume gauge ?\'s

Just oreder my new Alt. and oil pressure gauge last night. Thought about getting some other gauges too. Does any one run a trany temp gauge and/or a vacuum gauge? The only reason I am interested in the trany temp is because I am running a 999 auto with 33's and pull my Jet Ski. Of course the Ski isn't very heavy (700 lbs). Would the trany even get hot enough to register on a 100-250 degree gauge?

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 11:15 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Transmission temp and Vacume gauge ?\'s

I've been toying with the idea of installing a vacuum gauge. It would be fun to watch it. Also there are those nifty little LED digital air/fuel mixture gauges. I was going to install one untill I realized I could switch the the fuel injection into "road test" mode and monitor it as I drove with a flashing LED.

The gauge you want for the transmission should easily monitor the transmission fluid temp if you "T" it into the correct fluid line (I suggest the output of the transmission to the input of the transmission cooler). There ain't nothing special about it...Some guys monitor the input to the cooler to see how hot the temp is getting in the transmission... and then also monitor the pool of fluid in the pan to see how efficent the cooler is working. One can go absolutely nuts with gauges... but they sure are fun to look at.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks LEVE. That is kinda what I was thinking. The vacuum gage would be fun to watch, but how would you adjust anything while being inside or on the move! I think a hand held one that you use for tuning a carb would be more usefull.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 06:07 PM
Way Outta Control

Adjust? Who said Adjust? A man's gotta have his gadgets.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 11:36 AM
Can't Get Enough

I'm all for any and all gauges. I have a vacuum gauge. I special ordered a Stewart-Warner, however Autometer's movement is correct(swings backward-counterclockwise). It will quickly tell if something is amiss. Temp. gauge for an auto tranny. is good. Heat is a killer for them, but they have a temp. range. Too cold and fluid won't lube enough or transmit pressure quickly. I had a mechanical oil P. gauge(stock) in a '72 Blazer. When I went around a bend if the needle hesitated or bounced it was time to add oil. One of my pet peeves is the use of voltmeters instead of ammeters. An ammeter will tell you the same thing a voltmeter will and more. Another good one is a fuel pressure gauge with the sensor just before carb. Low fuel pressure can cause some squirrelly things to happen. I don't need the dash looking like a 747 cockpit, but I do like to see and analyze a problem before it gets critical. The fuel/air gauge gives an approximate ratio. I kept the O2 sensor and the wire is run to the dash. I want to get a digital volmeter(0-1.0 V.), needs to operate on 12 volts.

Huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode