Transmissions,driveshaft lengths and axles ratios - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transmissions,driveshaft lengths and axles ratios

1. I have a three speed that was intended for my CJ-5 project. I don't realy like the 3-speed idea, this will be a road-jeep primarily. I may have a SR-4 available to me, but I understand they are weak. I have considered an auto which would also please my wife(yeah I'm whipped). I haven't looked into the auto very much but aren't they usually longer that manual boxes?

Are any of you running an auto in your CJ-5s? If so, which ones, TH350/400 or 700R4 and what transfer cases work with these.

Any opinions on the SR-4 being weak?

Finally, the axle ratios. The ones I have were used on an '81 with a 4 cyl and an SR-4 trans. I would dhave guessed that these would be a high ratio axles with the low output of the 4 cyl. I jacked up the jeep so that one wheel was off the ground, turned the input shaft on the front diff 10 times and the wheel turn almost 5 times(~4.75 best estimate). Would that not make these approx 2.73?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 10:31 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Transmissions,driveshaft lengths and axles ratios

The only ratio available with that combo in '81 was 3.73's. That being said, I have an '80 leftover (it comes up as an '81), same combo, with 3.54's in it.

The SR-4 is junk, don't even consider it.

What engine are you going to run, Chevy?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats what I was thinking on the SR-4. I have a 304 that I planned to use simply because I already have it. I have a bell housing that I haven't identified yet, it has GM-4 stamped on the transmission side. I think I will take some pictures of it and let you folks ID it for me if you can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 10:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

JEEPN - Are you sure that 3.73 were the only option for that combo in 81? A buddy has a '81 scrambler with the iron duke and sr4 and says that he has 4.11 gears.

Rick
80 CJ7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 11:39 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yep, that's straight from the factory manual. He may have a crossover year, but the 4.10's weren't an option since '79 on the CJ's.

The only reason my '81 has 3.54's is it's a crossover year, it's doubtful the Scrambler he has had the 4.10's from the factory, because there's a year gap.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 12:13 PM

As for an auto in a CJ5, it's usually not done due to the short wheelbase. About the shortest available auto you could fit in there would be the aforementioned TH350. This tranny is best used with a GM engine, and will need adapters to mate to the TC. To be honest, I've never seen or heard of a CJ5 with an auto in it.

A word on the three-speed... if it's primarily a road Jeep, the three speed won't be much less desireable than a four-speed. 3 and 4 speeds have a final gear of 1:1. If considering a manual roadwise improvement over the 3-speed, think of a 5-speed. Overdrive is a real plus for road manners.

Assuming your 3-speed is a T-150, I wouldn't swap it on the SR4. The T150 is a heavy-duty tranny, the SR4 a light tranny. 1st gear on the SR4 is only 4:1, not that much better crawl-wise than the T-150's 3:1. If you're interested in double-duty, there's always a good old granny 1st T18 or NP435 or SM420/465 ultra-macho 4-speed.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode