Shackle Reverse - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Shackle Reverse

Are the shackle reversal kits any good? I have a jeep that is driven on the road alot. My 16 year old daughter is going to start driving it often. Do these kits offer better on road driving? If so what manufacture kit is best?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:34 PM

Re: Shackle Reverse

It's been a while since I've looked into it. He is one good site to check out.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/srs/srs.htm

The reversal is primarily done to eliminate bump steer. When the front springs are compressed the wheels and springs move forward. When you hit a rock or object and the spring compresses and bounces back because it can't extend forward that is called bump steer. It can telegraph into your steering wheel and steering components.

I personal would not do the modificatiion unless you were going to do it in tandum with a lift and larger tires allowing you to play on more difficult trails offroad.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font color=red>The fun is just begining!!!</font color=red>

MJ

95 YJ (aka Bumpy Jeep)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is the NUMBER ONE overrated mod in existence for a CJ. IMO total waste of time and money, I've ridden in several, didn't impress me one little whit. And on top of it all, if you want to run bigger than 33s you end up with interference at the back of the fenders.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Onr thing I almost forgot to mention. Under hard braking the front end will DIVE, not sure if your 16 year old is ready for that surprise. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:00 PM

My opinon is completely opposite of cjjeepercreeper, I've built mine own and "use" this setup for years and love it. A much more stable and soild road feel. If done wrong, nose dive is the result, if you set the proper shackle angle and proportion the brake properly there is no nosedive.

I make my own stuff but I've heard the M.O.R.E. kit is good. Moves the axle forward a couple inchs for fenderwell clearance.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:06 PM
Addict

I'm with Brad. These create more problems than they are worth.

BTW, I'm running 38.5 SX's and have NOT cut any sheetmetal in front. Try that with a SR.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:32 PM

I like my shackle reversal, but I use my Jeep daily on the road. SR makes the axle more stable on the road, and I havent had any problems off road with it yet. No, Im not running 38" tires, but I wouldnt run 38" tires on a daily driver anyways. It just depends on what you intend to use your Jeep for. I personally need to drive mine daily, but I also like driving it as often as possible to go out and play (no trailers).

TJ

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:33 PM
Pooh-Bah

Most of the kits are good, if it is needed is another story. The argumenst go back and forth for both. Here is some more reading on the subject for you though.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/elkcahs/
And yes I have wheeled with a guy with 38.5"s roughly 8" of lift, (2" springs with 5" plus/minus SOA & 1 " body = about 8"), axle went forward 1.5" and no fender cutting.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:27 AM

My advice would be a little different from everyone elses. The shackle reversal is really academic. I don't think your 16 year old daughter should be driving your jeep until she has more road time under her belt. Especially if it is a manual.

I just watched my neighbor go through this with his daughter. He bought her a 93 YJ. Very nice girl (baby sits for my kids) smart, responsible, good grades and a good athelete (coordinated). After six months and two accidents the YJ has been sold. Luckily she wasn't hurt in either of the accidents.

Keep her safe. Let her drive the SUV. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The CJ's road manners with or without a shackle reversal demand constant attention. Couple that with lack of experience and I think your asking for trouble.

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 03:16 AM
Zombie

Here is my opinion on this topic..........
I put on a Trailmaster "bolt on" reverse shackle kit on my 77 CJ. I like it very much.
I did have some nose dive under heavy breaking, but with the right shocks, that was illiminated. Running 5012's all around. Had to put on some shock towers in the front from a 83 wagoneer to hold the front shocks.
I am fighting some fender mashing problems now, but plan on drilling new holes in the perches to gain about another inch in clearance.

Over all, I have been impressed with the shackle reversal. Rides smooth and no major safety issues.

Zombie

'77 CJ5 304, TBI, T18, R44/F30-locked front/back
Norman Suspension, and lifted a little
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode