Which M/T tire is the best - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which M/T tire is the best

What M/T tire is the all round best. I dont want them to wear down fast cause i want to drive my jeep daily but i want a good mud tire thats kinda cheap 33's or 35's. Which are the best in your alls opinion.
I know its a stupid question but i was just wondering

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which M/T tire is the best

That's like asking the classic; "Are round lights better than square lights?" question. For the most part, it's opinion. Some say the Goodyear MT/Rs, others say BFG MT KMs. My personal vote is for the MT/Rs.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:19 PM

DO a search on this fourm it has been covered too many times but there's what i'd recomend. Probably the Top 2 radial mud tires are the bfg mt km and the good year mtr they are both excelent offroad tires w/ good on road manners and they about about $160 a piece for a 35 for the best prices check out http://www.tirerack.com and then print out the add and take it to discout tire or sears and they will usually match the price, w/ new tires i would recomend the warentys that tire shops offer. My dad's xj has 235 bfg at ko's on it and i took it out wheeling one night w/ 1' of snow and complete darkness at a wheeling spot w/ a ton of old garbage and killed 3 ko's in one shot, took it to sears the next day and got 3 new ko's for something like $30 (taxes or warenty activation, a lot less than the cost of 1 tire), my dad had purchesed the warenty and it had really paid off in one shot. Another good mud tire that is pretty cheep i think $130 for a 35 is the general grabber mud, it's really agressive though the side wall is only 2ply and weak though if you had a warenty it probably wouldn't be the biggest deal. Another thing to consider is a full size spare tire, i would suggest 1 that's the same as the other 4 but atleast one the same size is a good thing to have, you can usaually tell jeeps that arn't into hard core wheeling by those that have no spare.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well yeah it is opinion, and I haven't run my MTR's long enough to form one, but so far, I am pleased. They are fairly quiet on the road for a mud tire, no real hum so to speak of, they dig like dogs, grip like cats, and they look killer. My vote so far is for MTR. I'll get back to ya on road wear

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 07:00 PM

It has to be BFG's.......why?
I just bought some.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 11:27 PM
Enthusiast

check out some of those new TRXUS MTs from Interco. i am going to get those next for my full size blazer. they are a 10 ply load range E tire in the size i need(285/75/16 or 33x11.25x16). some of the others are available in that same ply rating. 10 ply tires wouldnt wear quite as fast and they would be tough as nails on trail.

92 FullSize Blazer Sport 3" 285/75 Geolander MT x8000i Trans4mer 4.10s
65 CJ5 302 Ford 4.5" 34/9.50 TSLs Warn OD 4.27s
79 Scout 6" 33/12.50 TSLs 4.88s Welded Diffs
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 12:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, but read about the TRX MTs on the Interco site. They say, and I quote: "The TrXus Mud Terrain is Interco's answer to the needs of those who do not require the maximum off road traction but want a superb tire with good looks." So, basically you're looking at a tire that was designed with looks first, performance second. You may want to reconsider.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, but read about the TRX MTs on the Interco site. They say, and I quote: "The TrXus Mud Terrain is Interco's answer to the needs of those who do not require the maximum off road traction but want a superb tire with good looks." So, basically you're looking at a tire that was designed with looks first, performance second. You may want to reconsider.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Anyone got some opinions on the new Pro Comp Xterrain's? That's what I'm planning on going with. Damn things are backordered until Jan. though

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 05:21 AM
WSB

I personally like General Grabber MT's as an all around mud tire, they work in the mud, snow, etc. They usually cost about $20 less than BFG's of the same size. I ran a set of 33's on a CJ that I had and they were great.

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode