Home Made Sway Bar Disconnects. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Home Made Sway Bar Disconnects.

Me being the cheepscap that I am I dont want to spend the $100 on swaybar disconnects. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to make home made ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:12 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Home Made Sway Bar Disconnects.

ZLY made his by cutting the original ones in half, then you get a piece of tubing that you will stick either end of the sway bar disco into, you will then drill a hole through the tubing and the disco at each end and use a pin that will go through both to hold them securely together. When you want to disconnect, you pull the two pins, and remove the piece of tubing and you are disconnected.

kerryp

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whew, good, I found it! God bless "search" and "copy". Here's something I posted a while back:

With only 1 3/4" lift shackles our links had to be lengthened. If I recall, the bottom bolts came out pretty easily. The easiest way to get the top out is to remove the whole sway bar, put the nut loosely on the end of the top link bolt to protect the threads, sit the nut against a board or something, and whack the sway bar with a hammer. Comes right out. A cheap way (about $20 or less) to make longer and disconnectable links is to cut the old ones so there is about 3/4" of rod on each end. Get four 3/8" "coupling nuts" which are about 1 3/4" long. Run a die on the 3/4" piece of rod you left on your link ends to thread it to match the nuts. Screw the nuts onto the link ends. Next get some 3/4" rigid electric conduit nipples. They come in different lengths so figure out what length you need. You may be able to get two out of one nipple. The nipples fit over the coupling nuts without much slop. Saw or use a pipe cutter to cut the nipples to the lengths you need. (I cut the threaded ends off for appearance sake.) Put the nipple over the nuts and drill a hole thru the whole works on each end to fit a latch pin. Line the hole up so it goes thru the half of the nut that the old link isn't into. If you ever change lift, just buy some new nipples for a couple bucks each and make them longer. You have to get the "rigid" conduit at an electric supply house and we found latch pins just like they use on the $100 sway bar disconnects at the local RV and Camping supply store.

We did the nuts, because the stock disconnect is only 3/8" diameter and if you'd drill a hole thru it for any decent sized latch pin, there wouldn't be much left. They have been holding up just fine. In fact we put lift springs on and had to lengthen even more but it was a breeze. Just picked up more nipples for a couple bucks each, set the old ones in a vise over top the new ones as a guide, and ran the drill thru. Saved the old ones...who knows, might go lower some day. Oh yeah, the nipples come galvanized so no finishing is required.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:26 PM

I don't know how cj's sway bars are attached but for my tj there was a bolt holding the sway bar to the axle, i pulled the bolt and replaced it w/ a clevis pin (hitch pin) and a cotter pin and they are super easy to disconect, much easier than the guys w/ $100 discos.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper do you just let the bar hang down or do you tie it up? If it hangs down wont it hit something while flexing?? I had thought of the same thing but was afraid they would hit or bind.

97 TJ 31's and mostly stock but seeing what I can do about that..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:32 PM

I did somthing similar Jeeper.. except my post sheared off with the nut.. so I drilled it out and put a 3/8" grade 8 bolt through it. I had to grind 1/2 the head of the bolt off, but now it's really easy to dissconnect even if it's already flexing.. just un-do the nut, give the bolt a few whacks (shovel, axe or maglite) and the swaybar linage will just slide off.

You only really need to disco one side right?..

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an easier solution yet. Just get rid of the sway bar and drive away. The only time I miss mine is on twisty mtn rds, I just slow down. I sold my JKS discos a while back, got tired or hooking and unhooking them. I stongly suggest removing yours, driving without it and seeing how you like it. Its FREE! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:32 PM

I hold them up w/ a zip tie to the coil bucket mount. I havn't reconected mine for a month now but it's going on during the 1st snow. I don't really miss mine except when it's windy and i'm trying to do 70mph.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode