D35 question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

D35 question

Alright, here's the deal: I have a '97 TJ 4 banger auto. I got hit in the rear quarter panel and this pushed the right side of the axle tube up slightly (ever so slightly). All suspension geometry is fine. All mechanics I have talked to said that the axle is fine, but it will cause more stress on my spider gears and cause them to wear a little quicker. However, I want to add a 2" lift, go to 32"s and run a rear locker. If this axle isn't gonna cut it, I don't wanna spend the money on it. But in the same breath, if it will, I could definitely use the money elsewhere in the Jeep. I have found a Ford 8.8 rear with 4.10s and a Trac-lok for $750 + shipping, but it would require for my bracketry to be swapped on to it. How much (approximately) would it cost to have this axle installed in my Jeep? I've also found a brand new Dana 44 with brakes, 4.10s, and a Detroit for $1500, but I don't wanna (read: can't) spend this much. Lemme know what u think. Thanx!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: D35 question

oops, that was supposed to be '97 TJ 4 banger MANUAL

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 03:39 PM

hey little red, Did you find that deal at a wholesale retailer? or is it a private sale?
If retail, where!!!
Thanks!

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Grocery Getter, Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - Work in progress.
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 04:03 PM

Check out http://www.car-part.com for 8.8 axles, the 4.10's usually came behind the 6 cylinder exploders, i'd skip the track lock and get a lock right instead, the track lock is alright in snow but as soon as you lift a tire it's worthless. Also http://www.rubiconexpress.com sells the bracekt kits to put the brackets on 3/4 ton yj has a write up on his site about this exact swap.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 04:23 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

1. I think it is a safe statement that a Dana35 with a locker will only last a short amount of time with 32s.

2. Therefore, a slightly damaged one will last even less time.

3. If the damage to the axle is such that the spider gears and/or side gears are not correctly aligned, this could lead you to premature locker breakage, or poor locker performance anyway.

My opinion -- 1 + 2 + 3 = axle upgrade. Save up and get a 8.8, or a 44, or a 9", or.....

My 8.8 is still in the garage, but it's on its way. I've run my dana35 open with 33s for a few years now and I'm easy on it. It makes some pretty weird sounds, but it ain't broken yet. Run the stock axle with the 32s while you save up for a new axle (and go easy on it). A TJ dana 44 would be a bolt in swap you could do yourself with basic tools if you learned how (not counting if you had to regear it). [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I would think that would be the best and cheapest approach.

Just my opinion,
Good luck
Pete

"Everything I've got to offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood." -- Bruce Springsteen.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

If you get a TJ Dana 44 you will have to get it regeared because it will have 3.73 gears.

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast

But it would probably be the best way to go.

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 08:57 PM

You cant go wrong with the 8.8, as long as its the 31 spline disc brake version, but $750 is a lot. I just found one for a friend for $350, with just a little searching around.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've heard that the 8.8 is 2" narrower than the stock TJ axle and that the best way to go is the TJ D44 or a D44 out of an Isuzu Rodeo. Any thoughts?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 09:36 PM

How wide is the Tj front axle? The 8.8 Explorer axle is about 59". Its a perfect match for a YJ. Its quite a bit stronger than a D44 also, both at the ring and pinion, and the shafts. It also has very good ground clearance.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode