MSD/Crane/TR upgrade on optical trigger conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

MSD/Crane/TR upgrade on optical trigger conversion

When I got my CJ5 (1974-75, 304) it had a Delco Remy distributor with a tempramental Pertronix points eliminator kit on it, and no other factory ignition items. Since this was before my time on the bbs and the TR upgrade, I installed a Crane XR-700 point eliminator kit and Crane PS-20 coil. The point kit is an optically triggered shutter system, and the coil is a "street performance" oil bath upright canister (read: stock).
When the motor went into the CJ7, I added the big two piece MSD cap and Accell 8.8mm wires to the previous Crane stuff.
I now am looking at either adding the MSD-6a or the Crane HI-6 to the optical triggering system. The instructions with the xr-700 say either one can be added w/o any problems. I am leaning towards the MSD because of their rep. and I have used them before, but am not sure if the Crane unit would work better with other Crane products (like Edelbrock Performer kits).
Is this (MSD or Crane) going to be the next best step, or should I start over with something different? The CJ7 has no factory modules to work with, so starting over would be really starting over.
Is there parts of the TR upgrade that could be incorporated into the system for better performance?
If I go the MSD/Crane route, should I go to a different coil as well?
Thanks for any input or suggestions.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 02:24 PM

Re: MSD/Crane/TR upgrade on optical trigger conversion

You won't regret the MSD 6A purchase, and it will work with virtually anything for a trigger or coil.
Points, Optical, Hall Effect (Stock magnetic) or Flying Magnet, it's all the same to the MSD unit.

Your coil is fine as far as I know.... MSD works great with all stock and stock type coils.

The trigger is a little shaky, but at least it's not a Mallory Unilite trigger. (Best have good walking shoes if you buy a Unilite)
The PerTronics would have been a more reliable trigger, or even the original points...

The optical should work just fine though, and I don't anticipate a problem, except maybe for a diode in the alternator circuit if the engine runs on after you turn the key off. Real simple to do, and only about $3 to fix. Worth every penny of the $3 for the benefits of the MSD unit...

BTW, did you know the Crane unit only puts out about 2/3 of what the MSD 6A does? Crane can't seem to get the power switching right in the real world...

If you are interested in selling that PerTronics trigger, let me know...

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Aaron thanks for the reply. I had planned on the MSD, but thought I would check out it out first.
Unfortunately the Petronix trigger meet the heavy end of a hammer in a fit of frustration at it when I was having problems. I should have calmed down and looked at it with a clear head, but didn't. The Crane unit has done good and haven't had any problems with it, even when wet, but I still carry a spare eye & shutter. I am now just looking to get that little bit extra.

PS. as a side note, what company was it that you deal with for air suspension? I am buying either a Hedits or CA Chassisworks front end for my wifes 62 Chevy II convertable and thought about doing the Air Ride Tech stuff.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 07:08 PM

PerTronics makes a good trigger. The problem is usually with the install, and the amount of resistance in the system.
(Installers error, not equipment malfunction)
Hate to hear you lay into it with a hammer, but I'm guilty of the same thing on several occasions...
---------

http://www.ridetech.com for the Air Ride company.

So many cats, so few recipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode