rattleing clutch? long drive tomorrow?any worries? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rattleing clutch? long drive tomorrow?any worries?

84cj7- my brothers. he is drivng home from gettysburg to Long Island tomorrow.
he has a chevy 350 with a t4 tranny. the cluch seems to rattle in the bellhousing.(im guessing). the noise dissapears when i rest my foot on the clutch. or if the clutch is completely depressed. once released the rattleing comes back. i just want to make sure he wont have problems tomorrow. he isn't car savvy. is this something to worry about? thanks

304/th400/ford 9"s front/back 7"lift 15x10/35's
it will run someday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:01 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: rattleing clutch? long drive tomorrow?any worries?

I'd be worried...

The input shaft bearing may be dying.
The throwout bearing may be dying.
A clutch spring(s) may be broken.

If you're going to attempt the trip I'd suggest not stopping too often... and have a few tools and parts to change the throw out bearing, or clutch, if needed.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Since its a T4 it probably has the mechanical linkage with a bellcrank. Are you sure the linkage isn't just worn and rattling. The rods wear at the ends and the bellcrank holes end up elongated.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 09:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it is a mechanical linkage, i wont tell my brother to be worried..hed be calling me every fifteen minutes. hopefully it is just the lose linkage.
we'll find out when he comes home.
thank you

304/th400/ford 9"s front/back 7"lift 15x10/35's
it will run someday
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thats awesome! haha, what he doesn't know can't hurt him? I just hope you don't get stuck driving out to meet him to fix his broken rig at some broken down truck stop...best of luck! BTW: been there with the T-4 tranny and chevy 350, good luck with that too ; )

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 10:21 AM

I had a similar sound coming from my bellhousing. It was mechanical and there was a little spring that held the clutch arm against the pivot point. It broke and the arm made a rattling noise against the pivot until you put a little pressure on it. That could be it if the clutch seems to be operating normally.

But a 350 and a T-4 don't usually make for a bulletproof combo ;o)

'79 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 12:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My guess is throw out bearing . I personally wouldnt drive a long ways with that issue .
We should all get together and make a map of North America and point out where we(those willing to participate) all live , then that way if one of us has mechanical problems , you know someone is there to help you out .
eg. I would be listed in the North West Washington area and if say for example sake , Leve was in the area and broke down , he knows I would be there to help out .I know there is a wide network here of helpful people . I would be more than happy to help anyone of you out with a warm garage and a helping hand if you broke down in my area .
Ok , I`m home today and I`m bored. I`m waiting for the paint on my homemade bumper to dry so I can finally mount it on the Jeep . YEEHAA !!

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 12:19 PM
Way Outta Control

Jeff... that's a GREAT idea... I like it! I'm going to start looking for maping and db software that may do the trick... (freeware of course!)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ8er - I'll jump in here, your brother will be traveling close to me, I live in Hershey, Pa, I am assuming that he will be coming up Rt15 and I-81 to get to I-78 to go home, if he does have problems in that area I would be willing to help out, if you want that safety net email me at [email protected] and I will give you my cell phone number. I am off work tomorrow and will be working on my house so it will be no big deal if I need to help out. I dont have a garage to do any major work but at the very least we can get his Jeep to my house and give him a place to hang until you can pick him up and somewhere to keep the Jeep until he can get it picked up or fixed. Like I said, email me and let me know and I am also for the map and data base for people to turn to for help, sign me up for the Harrisburg/ Hershey area of Pa, hopefully by spring I will even have a trailer to help out with mechanically challenged Jeeps. I wish him the best of luck on his trip home.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You know Larry , my "great" ideas are few and far between[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] but I really like the sounds of this one . We could post the DB/Mapping info on http://www.shortwheelbase.com or something . If you know how to run/compile a DB I`ll help you any way I can . Let me know what you think . We might want to make a seperate post on this issue and bounce this by everyone .

Jeff

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode