Apology to Dave and others... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Apology to Dave and others...

Hey folks, I have an automatic response on my personal email system directed toward spammers. My current ISP is doing nothing to curb the 40+ spam emails I'm getting a day so I set up an auto response to irritate them. Some of you, especially Dave, have been kind enough, and gone out your way, to to assist with my question on a 350 to Ford t18 bellhousing. The auto response was meant for spammers, not you. Please accept my apology for the auto response, it was not meant for you, but meant for the spammers. And I'll take suggestions on a new ISP that combats spammers if you have one. Thank you, Edward.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Apology to Dave and others...

Well not really a new ISP, but try setting up a yahoo mail or something, that what I use, I don't get to much spam. They even have this nifty "bulk mail" folder that catches most spam and puts it in there (you can still read it though). Just an idea, also even though it is a pain if you can do the unsubsribe thing to those incoming spam messages it will make a difference (it did for me anyway). Although you seem to have it pretty bad. Good luck, also Earthlink supposedly dosen't give out info about users (at least thats what the ad says).

David Sanders
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 12:35 PM
Joker2002

The best way to avoid spam is to simply block the sender's email address and NOT use the unsubscribe option. When you click on that convenient Unsubscribe link at the bottom of all the spam emails, that is just a confirmation that your account really does exist and your address will be sold to even more solicitors. I used to get over 100 spam messages a day, but by going through and manually blocking the email address of every sender, I have cut down on the amount of spam to about 10 a day. I know it looks like every spam is coming from a different address, but I guarantee you many are the same and it will drastically cut down on the junk you get. Don't unsubscribe, just block.

Blake
93 YJ/33x12.50s/3" Heckethorn suspension/1.25" shackles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 12:35 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Setup a new Hotmail account . Go through the list of spammers and send then all 5 meg attatchments over and over and over . The problem I`ve noticed with 'blocking' them is that the mailer software is getting smarter and smarter . I`ve had the same junk come from the same place 5 days in a row . When looking at the properties for the message , the actual return address changed with each mailing . Only the HTML links in the message were the same . Thats why blocking for me is becoming a waste of time . My .02
Who is your ISP ?

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 06:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Apology accepted. I did not realize the return email was an automatic message.
dave

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 06:58 PM

If you have alot of time on your hands, follow some links in the messages and take it up to a new level. Call the company responsible and chew them out.
Sending back e-mails is useless, no-one checks the accounts that they send them from.. hell those accounts probably don't even accept mail.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:23 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I just told hotmail to go piss up a rope. I'm sick and tired of them deleting my mail and trying to "sell" me more space because my account is full of junk mail. I told them their filters sucked too. When they suspended my account yesterday because I had too much mail, (about 6 or 7) that was the last straw for me. Delete and your account will be reactivated with in 24 hours! To hell with them! I told them I'll be using Yahoo from now on and never miss a chance to bad mouth MSN and hotmail from now on. Jeepzilla is right, the mailer software is getting a little too smart. I don't bother to block anymore, it does little good. I have used hotmail for years and hated to change but that was IT for me.
Sorry for ranting but I had just typed a long letter before I notice I had been "suspended" and could not send it. That really chapped my hide!

Dave
[email protected] (new & better!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode