After another long weekend at the Toadworks, alot of progress was made. A few more armored car robberies and it should be ready[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. As always, my thanks goes out to Toad for all his help and expertise he's put into this thing.
Saturday started with mods to the sagging front leafs. A stock main leaf was cut at the eye (so it'll overlap) and added to the existing packs. What a difference! It looks to have given an additional 2" of lift, as well as stiffening up the front. Prior to this, it was way too soft. Plans are to use blocks from a J-truck on the rear. We also got the exhaust installed. The tubes from the manifolds out came from a scrapped '72. The glasspacks & hangers were a gift from my brother and combined with $18 worth of adapters from Advance. Sounds nice and rumbly exiting in front of the rear wheels!
Sunday found the rain stopped and a trip to Oak Ridge for the top. Now, this ain't just any top, it's the original factory top from none other than the Commandtoad. It's still in great shape with a minimal amount of rust & holes and even has some of the headliner & trim pieces still. A roll of foam (campershell gasket) was applied, and the treads all chased before dropping it on. A "new" hood was scarfed from yet another donor. It's camo paint looks right at home with the botanical motif she alreadys sports. A few trips down the road were taken just for good measure.
Monday brought more rain and more mods. I installed the rollbar from another donor with new carriage bolts. It's not tied to the frame yet, just the usual rusty floorpan. A new full family cage will eventually make it's way under the top. An oilchange revealed REALLY low oil pressure and constituted an oil pump rebuild. It still doesn't have great pressure, but will work until an overhaul can be done. All the smoke should work great for "mosquito dusting" this spring! What else would you expect from a $200 engine with 5lbs. of dobber nests?? I also managed to get the headlights and parking lights functioning with minimal hassle. The brake and signal circuits will require a little more attention [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].
Other than wiring, the only thing remaining to do is a disc conversion for the front (Drums are OK for now, but...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]). Elusive has a set of 6bolt caliper brackets and calipers from a narrowtrac CJ D30. Should be just what I need, as there are a few issues with the existing front brakes.
The remaining pics are from prior mods to the TC mount and the crossmember. The aluminum adapter had the ears busted off and required some modifications. A pc. of 1/4"x6"x4" angle was used. Toad torched a slot in the tall side to fit around the adapter and it was bolted through the D20 using stock bolt holes. The rubber mount is from a manual tranny, as it's larger than the auto version (plus it's what we had!). Changing the mount put the crossmember foward. Rather than try to make new holes with nuts or drilling all the way through, here's what we did. The the stock spacers were welded together, then drilled and tapped 1/2" bolts, and weld straight to frame. Quick, simple, and cheap.
Again, Thanks Toad!
'72 Commando "Project Mossy"