Mossy Rides! (long w/ BIG pics) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Mossy Rides! (long w/ BIG pics)

After another long weekend at the Toadworks, alot of progress was made. A few more armored car robberies and it should be ready[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. As always, my thanks goes out to Toad for all his help and expertise he's put into this thing.

Saturday started with mods to the sagging front leafs. A stock main leaf was cut at the eye (so it'll overlap) and added to the existing packs. What a difference! It looks to have given an additional 2" of lift, as well as stiffening up the front. Prior to this, it was way too soft. Plans are to use blocks from a J-truck on the rear. We also got the exhaust installed. The tubes from the manifolds out came from a scrapped '72. The glasspacks & hangers were a gift from my brother and combined with $18 worth of adapters from Advance. Sounds nice and rumbly exiting in front of the rear wheels!

Sunday found the rain stopped and a trip to Oak Ridge for the top. Now, this ain't just any top, it's the original factory top from none other than the Commandtoad. It's still in great shape with a minimal amount of rust & holes and even has some of the headliner & trim pieces still. A roll of foam (campershell gasket) was applied, and the treads all chased before dropping it on. A "new" hood was scarfed from yet another donor. It's camo paint looks right at home with the botanical motif she alreadys sports. A few trips down the road were taken just for good measure.

Monday brought more rain and more mods. I installed the rollbar from another donor with new carriage bolts. It's not tied to the frame yet, just the usual rusty floorpan. A new full family cage will eventually make it's way under the top. An oilchange revealed REALLY low oil pressure and constituted an oil pump rebuild. It still doesn't have great pressure, but will work until an overhaul can be done. All the smoke should work great for "mosquito dusting" this spring! What else would you expect from a $200 engine with 5lbs. of dobber nests?? I also managed to get the headlights and parking lights functioning with minimal hassle. The brake and signal circuits will require a little more attention [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Other than wiring, the only thing remaining to do is a disc conversion for the front (Drums are OK for now, but...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]). Elusive has a set of 6bolt caliper brackets and calipers from a narrowtrac CJ D30. Should be just what I need, as there are a few issues with the existing front brakes.

The remaining pics are from prior mods to the TC mount and the crossmember. The aluminum adapter had the ears busted off and required some modifications. A pc. of 1/4"x6"x4" angle was used. Toad torched a slot in the tall side to fit around the adapter and it was bolted through the D20 using stock bolt holes. The rubber mount is from a manual tranny, as it's larger than the auto version (plus it's what we had!). Changing the mount put the crossmember foward. Rather than try to make new holes with nuts or drilling all the way through, here's what we did. The the stock spacers were welded together, then drilled and tapped 1/2" bolts, and weld straight to frame. Quick, simple, and cheap.

Again, Thanks Toad!

Caver Dave
'72 Commando "Project Mossy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 12:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Mossy Rides! (long w/ BIG pics)

looking good.. billy ray!!!

but what is that front axle? havent seen anything that small in awhile.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]..

hell.. you might be driving that home before i go to the sand box yet!!!

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 12:44 PM

Looking Good, gota love those days when you get all the work you need to done. Got a web page outlining your build up? Keep up the good work and it's nice every now and then to see pics of something besides swb jeeps.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

(bottom lip poked out)
What do you mean besides swb jeeps? At 104", it's still SHORTER than H8s & Pyros![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I figured why start short and have to do all the mods to stretch it like ALL the "SWB" guys.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I've got the rest of the month off [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] and will be putting up a site detailing all the particulars.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando "Project Mossy"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

looking good, keep up the good work, now that you started it will never stop

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:30 PM

Cool about the web page, i just ment the typical swb jeep (cj, yj, tj).

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 07:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

What was Jeep thinking when they put that grill on??? Chevy musta been scaring them for some reason!
Cool looking rig, your gonna have fun working/wheelin' that thing. Good luck and keep us posted about the new site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode