BDS kit deliemma - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:32 AM
Wrangler88

BDS kit deliemma

ok if i order the kit from JD's off road it comes with 4' springs and yada yada yada, but no shocks for $445, and its shiped for free.. if i go with the kit that comes with shocks its $510, but i have to pay $50 bucks for shipping so it comes out to $560, now are the shocks that come with the BDS lift any good, or should i just spend the $445 and get some other shocks i'm not going to have the money for RS9000's right away, i just need something to get by with..thanks

(\/)ikey
Got Jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 02:12 AM

Re: BDS kit deliemma

I would say go with the price W/out shocks and get Rancho's. That is my plan. Where can I get in touch with JD's off road. I want to get the two inch kit for my soa and that sounds like a very good price.
Brandon

Born on a mountain raised in a cave Jeepin and Wheelin is all I crave.
85 CJ-7 Nuttered and Growing Strong
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:27 AM
Wrangler88

www.jdsoffroad.com

(\/)ikey
Got Jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 07:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are getting different shocks, I would recommend getting the high upper shock mounts that came on some older Jeeps (unfortunately I don't know which years). This allows you to use much longer shocks and thereby gives you a lot more travel. Wish someone would have told us about this when we were putting ours together.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The best way to do shocks for a kit is to put the kit on and measure for shocks. Most jeeps weight in differently and therefore just sit differently on the same kit. Measure compressed and extended lengths. Then get a shock that will fit those parameters. Making sure that the shock won't bottom out and is longer than the full extention. You can visit Rancho's website and view their shock lengths in *.pdf format. Find the one that you need. RS5000 are much cheaper than RS9000's, and the 5k ones are about equal to the 3 setting(where most people set them and leave them). I might go with RSX(self adjusting valve) myself, they are only a little more than the 5k and aren't as much as 9k Rancho. You can then get Advance Auto(they can order Rancho shocks) to get the shocks for you, and will not have to pay shipping(pick up at store). This will save shipping, keep your pocket book happy, and insure that you have the correct length shock.

If you need a little more lentght in the total shock you can always add some extended towers(MORE or stock F350, your choice), but don't if you can't travel that much(you will be wasting you money). You can later tweak out your suspension and get a little more flex, then add longer shocks and towers.

Jason

----------------
OIIIIIIIO'81 Scrambler & '88 Grand Waggie
I'm stuck in the '80's!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

clickable http://www.jdsoffroad.com

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:16 PM

It seems a lot of people arn't that happy w/ rancho 5000's, they seem to be all for the name, do a search on shocks and see for your self. I think doschtecs from summit racing come in long travl form for pretty cheep. $115 is not a bad price for 4 shocks shipped to your door though. Especailly not rancho 5000's ($30 a piece if you find a good price + shipping or taxes). Maybe a post about bds shocks would help your decision.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:21 PM
Veteran

I say get the BDS kit without shocks. MY kit however had trail master. If you know the lengths then the rancho 5000's are the same shock without the adjustable feature. The 5000's are 165 for 4 with free shipping from 4 wheel part wholesalers.

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Chrome don't get ya Home
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been using RS5000s for many years, like them a lot and they seem to last a good long time. Never heard of anyone complain about RS5000s, I know lots of people that use them. Like them a lot better than the KYB Gasadjusts I had years ago with my first lift. The KYBs were way stiff.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:27 PM

I say get the doeschtech they provide a much more forgiving ride. I had rs5000's on my samurai for a while and it felt like I was in a paint mixer.

<font color=red>MY OTHER CAR HAS ROUND EYES TOO</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode