clunking noise, not sure what it is, need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

clunking noise, not sure what it is, need help

This is going to be a little hard to explain. There is a clunking noise in my jeep. I know a clunk isnt very abnormal in a Jeep but Im used to the normal sounds of my jeep and this one is new. It seems to clunk usually when I brake. Not every time I brake but when I come to a complete stop or close to a stop. It will also make the clunk noise when I start off from a complete stop. Usually imediately when I push the gas pedal. It sometimes does it going into second gear as well. (th400) Ive also noticed it when Im wheeling and going over rough ground. Im not sure how easy it is to identify without driving it and with what I wrote but Im at a loss. The first thing I thought of was that maybe my drive shaft was loose. I checked that and thats not it. Any help would be great. Thanks.

<font color=green>ColeJ6</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:53 PM

Re: clunking noise, not sure what it is, need help

check your pinion nuts and bearings

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know, but I think it's impossible to pinpoint every jeep clunk. My buddies bump stop extension came loose and rattled, drove him nuts for a while until he happened to look one day. Usually finding where it's coming from, getting under, and checking everything around there, make sure everythings tight, maybe if you've done a modification in that area previously, and something came lose, or might have been affected by it helps. Sorry I can't be of more help, hope you nail it down so to speak..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:40 AM

It only happens when you come to a complete stop, or when starting from a complete stop? Hmmm.....not sure, probably not the usual culprit. And it's intermittent? Rats, major pain in the neck. One oddball one to check would be your spring bushings. Your rig is in much better shape than mine, but you might look. Mine were making some horrendous noise when I first bought it, but only when cornering! Since the shackles are out where everybody can see them, we figured that one out right quick though!

Sometimes it takes a while to find a noise. My wife had a '90 Olds Calais that had a tick in it. I replaced the timing chain and lifters, but still had the tick. My father (a proffesional mechanic) said "a H*&L! Run it till it blows--which my wife did. It scattered about 170 miles north of town. When I took the head off I found that #1 and #2 pistons (4cyl Iron Duke) were at TDC. #2 was split in half! Evidently, the piston had been split for the last 2 years (when the ticking started), and the little critter just kept running until it split all the way down to the skirt and the con rod came out and beat the daylights out of the block.

All I can say is that intermittent noises are a pain. Let us know when you find it so we all learn a little more! Good luck with it!

"Fly low, fly fast, turn left!"--advice to new Reno Airracing pilots.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My bushings do squeak A LOT! Or it could just be my springs. Im not sure about that one, but this is definetly different. I can feel the clunk through the brake pedal sometimes. I dont have power brakes and my master cylinder is mounted on the frame so I guess it could travel through all that and up the pedal. How do I check the pinion nuts and bearings? Is this going to take quite a bit of work to get to them? The sound isnt nesecarily intermitent its just hard to pinpoint the times that it happens. It seems to happen everytime I come to a stop and go from a stop. Im going outside in about 5 minutes to check it out and see what I can find. Anybody else have an idea?

<font color=green>ColeJ6</font color=green>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 06:08 PM

I don't know but look for ball joints(do jeeps even have them?) wheel bearings, brake calipers, lug nuts, stearing linkage. sometimes we miss the easy things.
I would think if its not one of them, its still a safe jeep.
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 06:52 PM

A couple of things to check: The u-joints on the rear drive shaft. You should be able to check that by grabbing and trying to twist the 'shaft in both directions. Sometimes, if it's only one universal that's bad, you'll need to get the rear wheels off the ground and put the tranny in neutral to take the load off the driveshaft. Then twist it back and forth again. Another thing to check is the front driveshaft at the slip joint. The front shaft, even though its not turning, still extends and compresses as the Jeep moves. If the Jeep spends a lot of time in 2 wheel drive then the front shaft stays in the same position. When you hit the brakes the front of the Jeep goes down, so if there is a spot worn in the splines it will clunk as the joint passes over it. If it is the front shaft at the slip joint, grease the heck out of it and keep driving. Grease it anyway, it can't hurt anything.

Ken

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:31 PM

You don't say where the clunk is coming from .check the wheel bearings.slip yoke ,U joints ,transmission mount ,if it is rubber it may be oil saturated and just worn out,allowing your stick to clunk the body.
.you don't mention any slipping or hesitation or two piece axels so that rules that out.
make sure your passenger seat belt isn't hanging out clunking against the side that got me more than once.shame on me.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:15 PM

Check the rear spring Ubolts, if loose, the axle will rock on the perchs(this can also bend the perchs, then they need replaced).
As already mentioned, could be a broken trans mount

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Like WC said, check your trans mount. About 15 years ago I experienced this same type of phenomenon, took me months to figure out my trans mount bolts had come loose, it was underneath the skid plate so hard to see.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode