Donor d- 60 rear, options? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Donor d- 60 rear, options?

I am in the process of building a d44 front axle. It came out of a full size chevrolet. I have narrowed it to 60 inches. What would be the best donor for a rear d6o considering my width and the fact that it is a six lug.I dont know much about narrowing a rear axle, but I am a pretty good fabricator and have the use of the basic fabricators tools.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Donor d- 60 rear, options?

well if you are looking at a 6lug 60" wide 60 here is what you'll need to do. find a rear ff dana60, cut the outer ends off and add ford 9" semi-floating ends to the housing. then have a set of custom 35spline shafts made for it. another option is what i did for my last rear and build a dana44/60 hybrid. i started with a scout d44 rear ( i did this for a buddy with a wagoneer d44 too. they are 6lug) and a ff d60. i then cut the outer ends of the d60 tubes off and the whole tubes off the d44 housing. i turned the d44 tubes on a lathe until they were a tight slip fit into the 60 housing (you stop turning about 3 to 3.5" from the outer end so you do not mess with the bearing end). once that was done remove the 44 tube and slide in the wagoneer axle to be used. measure from the axle flange to a point on the d60 housing record that measurement and then reinstall the 44 tube with the bearing end. you will then reinstall the d44 shaft so that the axle bearing is seated into the tube the way it is supposed to be. then measure from the same point you had earlier to the axle flange. figure the difference between this measurement and your previous one and that will tell you how much needs to be removed from the d60 tubes. once that is completed flide the 44 tubes back in and weld it up. and there you have it. basically a 30 spline sf dana60. the thing is spare axles wouldn't be too hard to find and you could always have a set of 35spline shafts made later if it was needed.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:51 PM

Are you sure you want to go 60's?

Mog axles are the standard now..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you are going to make stupid reply's then at least reply to the person you intend it to go to. i hate getting e-mail notifications when they are not intended for me.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:35 AM

Sorry, didn't realise anyone actually used the e-mail notification.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 04:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Screw it! I say mog it too! LOL, really I think you are looking at too much work, find something that works. But some says Mog axles can be had for around $2000, next rig I build will have 2.5 Rockwell's or Mogs for the price you can get these at!

waiting on the 1-tons!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 04:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i think any route you go might be alot of work.. wagoneer axles are somewheres in the line of 63" wide.. i have taken a semi floating d60 and cut it down 3" to match my front.. though i wouldnt recommend doing this yourself.. also.. most d60's are 30 spline.. same size as a d44.. so you estenially are just getting a bigger ring and pinion with larger bearings.. granted the full floating design is a touch better..
scout rear axles are about 61" wide or so.. i know they are about 2" narrower than a wagoneer.. you could get one of those and possibly redrill the end.. or convert the front to 5 lug to match..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I appreciate your replies.I do not think I am going to a unimog or 2.5 ton rockwells at this time though. How expensive is it to get a rear housing cut down, and why couldnt I simply convert either my front to eight lug or my rear to 6 lug(how difficult)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 11:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well.. you said you have a chevy d44? or is it a 10 bolt? depending on the spindle.. you could just swap to a 8 lug bearing hub.. from a 3/4 ton..
going from a 8 lug full floater to a 6 lug.. mmm.. i dont think that will work to well.. not sure on the exact measurements of the lug pattern.. but something is telling me that wouldnt work.. easier to conver the front im thinking..
not sure on price.. but if a shop is going to do it.. they should do right.. with new tubes.. pressed in.. so it might be somewhat costly.. im rambling now...

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:08 PM

I never really got why people put a d60 in the rear and a d44 in the front on a trail jeep, i can see how on 3/4 ton trucks they are usually in 2wd and pulling things where more stress would be put on the rear axle. It seems like you are just making your rear axle an anchor. If you want to go w/ a d60 rear i would suggest swapping 8 lug d44 outers on to the d44 front (might add a little width, not sure on that though) and then use an 8 lug d60 rear. That would probably be your best bet cost wise also i know that some full floating 14 bolts from 1 ton cab chassis chevys(like motor homes, delivery vans, tow trucks) are 63" wide and are a beefe and cheep axle to build, Detroits are $300 and they arn't that expensive if you find it in the right yard.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode