More Pwr Strng problems - bad pump? -UPDATE! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

More Pwr Strng problems - bad pump? -UPDATE!

OK, well we wanted to take my Jeep out for run tonight - we are trying to get it done for the weekend

Anyway.... We had made a mistake about 2 weeks ago, we had taken off the PS box (AGR) when we were doing our buildup - OK, well the fluid was out of the pump for the most part, so what did we forget to do after we got the suspension on & the TBI installed and the PS system hooked back up, -add PS fluid. So we wrecked the pump. We realized it didn't have fluid relatively quickly - didn't take it anywhere, until we added fluid. But we did run it a little (down the road, and up onto the ramp) with the damaged pump (that worked, but needed replaced)

OK, so we bought a NEW AGR pump (ouch!) and installed it, and if you saw my previous posts, it took a long, long time to get the system bled, and we replaced the return line while we were at it.

So, that brings us to tonight, we start the Jeep, and start to try to move it out of the garage, and the steering is REALLY tight. This with skimpy little 205 tires on it (so it will fit in the garage) So.... we are thinking that the pump is bad.

I'm ticked 'cause the friggin AGR pump is $$$$ and even worse it is time lost. What do you guys think, do you think it is the pump, or do you think we damaged the box somehow (that doesn't make much sense to us, as people lose power steering pumps all the time on cars & just replace the pump, not the box, too - but knowing AGR - who knows)

Anyway, help! Please! I want to go wheelin' this weekend!

Oh, and not only this, please see my post on my heim joints that suck.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: More Pwr Strng problems - bad pump?

I dont know how to explain you problem. Give Matt a call at agr, they are full of information and are more than happy to help

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 09:53 PM
Way Outta Control

I'd doubt the pump is damaged. They've got to be designed to go through the bleed sessions. If not.. .they're not worth the money. I'm still bettin' on a bleed problem or a stuck one way valve. Is there flow in the fluid? Bubbles?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

No bubbles, a little bit of flow - is there a one way valve on the return line? Where are there one way valves.

We seemed like we had got it bled the other day.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OHHHH, and I forgot to say that when you rev the engine, the steering gets really easy, the faster you rev, the easier it gets.

Maybe the high pressure valve???

What to do? Maybe swap from the old to the new?

-Mel

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 06:21 AM
Way Outta Control

I'd almost dare to say the pump seems to be working. Has there been a change in the way the pump is driven, belt routing or pulley sizes?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 07:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i am going to say the box on this one. A power steering box is not meant to move with out being driven by the pump. Now we all now that we have steered a vechile with ps when it wasnt running. But if you steer to hard to fast you can hurt the box (not alway but it is possable). It is something about a vavle that is in the box (i really dont know all the details). Like i said in mels other post about the 59 willys that drove us nuts, we replace the pump twice until we said it has to be the box, but still believing it couldnt be. The box that was on it was as clean as could be and never had a leak. Once the box was changed the problem was gone. We also expereinced the same thing more rpm's the better it steered.
When the owner came to pick up the willys we started asking him questions. Well come to find out he forgot to turn on the electric fan in a parade, so he overheated the motor, and when they pushed him off the road, they cranked on the wheel, to get it off the road. So maybe when you ran it low on fluid it may have done the same thing. Ran out of fluid and hurt something in the box.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well, we found out what the problem was....

The high pressure valve into the pump has a spring on it - OK, well the valve was stuck way down in the chamber.

We couldn't get it out, we called AGR, they said to hit on the valve with a screwdriver & my husband said that it was WAY down in there pretty far, and the guy said - "well you have to whack it pretty good" OK, so he whacked it pretty good & it broke out the other side. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

So, now the NEW pump is TOTAL toast. We called AGR back & said what happened, we are sending it back to them for *analysis* and I REALLY hope we don't get boned big time on this one. I believe that the valve was warped. We were able to look at the other valve (from the old pump) and it rode nicely up & down in the chamber. The new one is STILL stuck in the chamber, didn't come out the back, just broke the back out of the pump.

Anyway, the AGR tech said I could use a stock pump to get me by while he does the *analysis* - he said the difference is that a stock pump flows 2 GPM and 1300 PSI and the AGR pump flows 4 GPM and 1500 PSI

Either way, a total PITA, and about 3-4 hours of wasted time. I'm going to include in my christmas shopping this evening a trip to the Pep Boys to pick up a new stock pump ($55) so we can MAYBE have this jeep for the weekend, we can't use our OLD OLD stock pump 'cause it is contaminated with non-syntetic fluid (AGR requires syntentic in their box)

Soooo..... Hopefully I will be posting later that AGR was wonderful & they sent us a NEW pump.... Anybody wanna set some odds? Anybody deal with returns with them before?

-Mel

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 05:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Glad you found the problem Mel. If they dont warrenty it i wouldnt stop finding the next higher person in line for the next A$$ reaming. But i bet they warrenty it.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 07:00 PM

Mel, on my site are directions to modify the stock pressure relieve valve(the part that broke in the AGR pump)in the stock pump you just bought. This mod will increase the pressure and volume the stock pump puts out and is very simple and affective. I'm using the AGR box and ram with this modifed stock pump and it works great. I did this mod before received the rock ram kit and have yet to install the AGR pump because the modifed pump works so well. Look for the link titiled "Homemade Hydro Assist,,,,,"

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode