Aluminum/Stainless CJ7 body - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Aluminum/Stainless CJ7 body

OK, I know there are stainless steel and aluminum CJ7 bodies; I have pictures. I have been looking for years and NEED one. Does anybody out there know who is selling them Spokane? They have a web site (jpoffroad.com) but don't answer e-mail or return phone calls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Aluminum/Stainless CJ7 body

There is a web page that has been around a long time on a build up on a CJ-7 using a stainless steel body. Sorry I don't have the URL but maybe someone here does. I think they have a link to the maker of the stainless body but I believe it's out of the country. Try doing a search if no one can help here. I would love to have a SS body! Good luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:02 PM
Way Outta Control

Jim, thanks for filling out the profile. The maker of the aluminum tub is
<font color=red>JP Offroad</font color=red>. All you can do is download a PDF of thier brochure.

Stainless Tubs are made in the Phillipenes, but I've not a clue where...

My concerns would be electrolsis where alumunim meet steel... and in the case of each tub... are you prepared for repair costs when they dent, crush, bend or otherwise are folded, stapled, and multilated?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:59 PM

Since your in Spokane . Check out these guys , they are about 300 miles east of Vancouver BC .It would be a real bargain for you considering how high the US dollar is right now . These guys build a top notch product .
http://www.aqualu.com/CJ Pics/CJ5.html

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 06:43 AM
Can't Get Enough

http://combi.agri.ch/tvp/jeep/default.htm
I actually tried calling the off road shop that supplied their body, no luck. Maybe it was the time difference?

Huh?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

I got to JP Offroad's web page. They are the company in Spokane, but for over a week now they haven't answered my e-mail or phone calls. The web page says it's under heavy construction, but it's said that with no change since at least mid-July. I think it must be a couple of guys with more ideas than ambition.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

And I'm not too concerned about electrolosis with the body mounts since they're rubber insulated. It would be a problem if I had to use steel hood, fenders, tailgate, etc. If I can't get a complete body I may have to use some glass parts, but I can make aluminum hinges if necessary, and stainless hinges are readily available.

As for crash damage, I know some bodymen who can do pretty well with aluminum, and I can weld it fine. Actually my real problem is rust (surprise!) to the point where it's pretty bad to drive in winter with the wind and snow blowing through the holes. I'm not so concerned with what it looks like. There are dents and bangs in the old body that have been there for more than 20 years.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that info! The URL you gave me doesn't work, but www.aqualu.com does, and then I got to the Jeep body section. It looks like they might be making them for JP Offroad, so this is a better connection. I have e-mailed them. Now let's see if they follow up.

I'm not in Spokane; that's where JP Offroad is. I am in the St. Louis area. I was just wondering if anyone in the Spokane area knew anything about them.

Have you actually seen one of aqualu's bodies? One of my concerns is that if they use the wrong alloy or with the wrong heat treat, or make it too thin, aluminum bodies can be so soft that a falling acorn will leave a dent. Or they can run fatigue cracks from every stress point.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:50 AM

One of the big 4x4 catalogs has started carrying them. Maybe ThinkJeep printed catalog? ...or 4wdhardware?

I'll look when I get home tonight.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:40 AM

I know a couple Jeep shop owners and they said nothing but good things about the product . These guys have been making replacement Land Cruiser bodies for a long time . I guess the demand for Jeep bodies was to good of an oppurtunity to pass up for them . Here is the main page URL , pop in and see what else they do . The last time I checked on a CJ5 body I think it was like around $ 2300.00 CAN . Thats like $ 1600.00 USD .Thats a steal for you US guys !! Being aluminum the shipping weight cant be that bad .
http://www.aqualu.com/

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode