how do you remove the hub off a rear axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 04:31 PM
Joker2002

how do you remove the hub off a rear axle?

I went to the junkyard yesterday and bought myself a POS Ford 7.8 rear axle so that I can have something to tear down and rebuild without worrying about screwing anything up. I can just see the look on my dad's face if I told him I was working on my Jeep axles. Anyway, I've removed the differential cover, the drums, and the bearing caps inside the pumpkin, and now I need to remove the hubs and axles. I did a search but found no info. Here's the progress so far (look at pic). Can you tell me how to remove that outer hub so that I can get the drum brakes off?

By the way, thanks again for those of you who helped/supported me with removing the differential cover to observe the gears and whatnot. You gotta learn sooner or later.

Blake
93 YJ/33x12.50s/3" Heckethorn suspension/1.25" shackles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-620200-JEEP010.jpg (51.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:24 PM
Old Hand

Re: how do you remove the hub off a rear axle?

In that hole(in flange) spin the axle, there are 4 bolts to remove. Take those out and pull the axle out. you may have to use a slide hammer. But first check to see if there are C clips on the inner end of the axle(not familiar), if so remove them first. The backing plates should then come off over the bearings

I make Half doors
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:59 PM
Joker2002

Well, I removed those 4 bolts holding on the brakes like you said, and I went to Auto Zone and rented a slide hammer. The guy at Auto Zone told me the same thing about the C-clips that need to be removed. I don't see any, and he said that they'd be very obvious if I had them. Therefore, I don't think I have to worry about it, but just to make sure, where exactly are they located? Are they inside the pumpkin or what?

Blake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:16 PM
Veteran

yes they are inside the diff cover at the end of the axle shaft. It depends what year axle it is, the haynes book says what years had them. I know when I pulled my 88 wrangler shaft there were no c-clips. Mike

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Chrome don't get ya Home
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

To remove the C-clips if you have em you need to remove the center pin in the diff carrier. Then push the axles in a bit and the c-clips should drop out into the differintal.

"Every form of refuge has it's price."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:24 PM
Joker2002

Ok, well, I got the axle shaft and the brake system all removed on one side. I was confused because I thought that the hub had to come off of the axle, allowing the brake to come off of the axle, allowing the axle to come out of the housing. I didn't realize that the hub and axle was one solid piece. I know that they can be broken down further, which I will do in the future, but for now I just want to get the gears out of the differential. The other drum is proving a problem though because I think that the shoes have rusted to the drum. I'm not sure how to get it off, but I think my 10 lb. sledgehammer might help a little. I'm not concerned about damaging the brake, since it's already ruined anyway.

Blake
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:53 PM
Old Hand

try and back the brakes off with the adjustment and then get out the BFH and a couple of prybars

Hope any of this helps
Mike

I make Half doors
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 09:14 PM
Official Historian

I didn't realize that the hub and axle was one solid piece. I know that they can be broken down further, which I will do in the future.....
------------------------------

THE AXLE IN THE PICTURE CANNOT BE BROKEN DOWN FURTHER.. The only jeep axles that you can do what you are thinking about are the pre-72 dana 44 and the AMC model 20. Those had a hub held to a shaft with a large nut on the end of the shaft holding them together.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 03:01 PM

Good to see that you are actually learning stuff about your jeep. I love tearing stuff apart that i don't have to put together.

barreroll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 04:27 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Just a tip -- if you don't have a slide hammer, you can put the drum on BACKWARDS, and start some of the nuts, and use the drum (carefully!) as a slide hammer. Try not to wreck the threads. Put some duct tape over the threads if you can.

Good luck
Pete

"Everything I've got to offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood." -- Bruce Springsteen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode