What is difference between CJ7 and YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

What is difference between CJ7 and YJ

Ok, lets take an 88 Yj with a 256 and a 86 CJ7 with a 256.
What is the difference between these two vehicles? If a YJ hardtop fits on a CJ, I would assume thier tub is roughly the same width, and length has got to be pretty close.
YJ's have D35 rears, and D30 fronts, 86 CJ7's are D35's rear and D30's front as well right?

How about the trannys?
Load me up with some big differences boys.. pile it on me like im a dirty clothes hamper!
Thanks!

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Grocery Getter, Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - Work in progress.
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:24 PM
Old Hand

Re: What is difference between CJ7 and YJ

Uh, the grill, hood, fenders.....(just kidding, I know you know that)

The engine is essentially the same.

The tranny from a cj is not going to be a Peugeut (arguably the worst tranny ever to be put in a Jeep). I think it could be a T5, T176, or an auto.

The CJ tcase is gear driven, cast iron case, can easily be twin sticked. It is hands down a better tcase.

The front dana 30 on a cj at least has lockout hubs instead of the problematic disconnect system on YJs. Also, better on the road if you run a locker (less parts move).

The rear axle could be a Dana 44 on some '86 CJs if you're lucky. Otherwise it is the AMC 20 which can be beefed up. The YJ uses a Dana 35 which will never be beefy due to it's small r&p. The earlier d35s didn't have c-clips which is an advantage over later d35s.

The YJ tub is galvanized which is good if you live where salt is put on the roads.

The CJ dash is just plain cooler (classic)

Tailgate is either pick-up style (cjs) or swing out (YJs).

And the best thing about YJs were the hard 1/2 doors.

I'm sure I've missed some other obvious differences.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:25 PM

'86 CJ's are AMC20 or Dana44 rear.

Oh yea! The CJ's have a JEEP front clip! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] lol

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:30 PM
Wrangler88

well first off 87-90 yjs came with a 258, and so did CJ-7's, but the Yj's came with alot more emmisions stuff on it, the YJ D30 is a reverse cut D30, as the CJ's D30 is a standard cut, YJ's come with the D35 rear were as the CJ comes with the AMC 20 or possibly in 86 the D44, the YJ's and CJ used completely differnt trannys and transfer cases, the CJ has the circle lights up front and the YJ has the square, the hard top and doors are interchangeable between the 2, .. i think that sums it up..? oh yeah, they also have differnt frames, YJ's are better

(\/)ikey
Got Jeep?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok lets let me offer what I know, many trannies offered in the CJ-7. The dana 30 has the drop on different sides (different x-fer cases). The dana 30 on the '7 has manual hubs, the YJ is vacuum? The '7 never came with a dana 35, it mainly came with the AMC 20, but in your example the '86 '7 could have a Dana 44. I believe the dimensions are pretty much the same for tub and frame on the two, the frame on the YJ is considered to be a little better (or maybe alot in some opinions) same with the body I think. Also another difference I have noted is the shackle hanger (at least in the rear) is different between the two styles. The top of the shackle on the YJ is in the middle of the frame and CJ the shackle hangs from the bottom of the frame (maybe that means the CJ sits a little higher stock?). Also the engine I think you mean is 256 not 258, also they changed the engine to a 4.0 later on. I think thats it off the top of my head, I'm sure some other people have more detailed info.

David Sanders
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Man, you guys are good... Impressive..
Based on all of my research, I have concluded that YJs and just as Capable as CJ7s, and both have thier advantages and disadvantages...so....nothing new..

As for the 256, slip of the finger...
What about Carbs? Do CJ7's use that crappy Carter carb?
Personally, I like the CJ dash better then the YJ, but I would rather take either a YJ or CJ dash over a new TJ.. I dont see how somebody would rather have a carlike dash instead of that "airplane Cockpit" look.
oh well..

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Grocery Getter, Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - Work in progress.
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 03:05 PM
Veteran

YJ's have wider front springs.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your right, the tubs are basicly the same. The gas filler hole is on opposite sides and some of the firewall holes are different and the rear body mounts are different, oh! and the tail gate... but mostly the same. As far as the galvinized tub thing, I think it's a myth because they still rust in the same spots. I think they just sealed the body rivets better. Many people have swapped YJ tubs onto their CJ's because used tubs are in better shape.
The frames on YJ's are wider and boxed giving it more strength and a more stable road feel but it also hampers the flex because the springs are outward more on the axles. The springs are wider and softer for better car like handling and Jeep lowered the YJ's a bit from the CJ and added the ridiculous track bars. There were a lot of small changes in the suspention and drivetrain that made it a different vehicle after Consumers destroyed the CJ's reputation.
The 258 had a ton of emissions crap added and the old troublesome BBD carb became computer controlled and more troublesome. The YJ also introduced the 2.5l 4banger. The 231 t-case was intro'ed in 88 with the 207 in the '87's. The vacuum disconnect system replaced the manual hubs in the front d30 to "keep-up" with the other easier to use auto hubs on the big boys.
The dash is an easy fix. Take off all the plastic and get a flat sheet of steel and a hole saw and you have a CJ dash. It's really just paneling.
The YJ was make to be a bit less utilitarian that the CJ and more car like for a growing buying market. Some things got stronger and some didn't. Each model has it's faults.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs thanx to every Cheap trick on this board. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode