Oh no! Oil in the cab! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Oh no! Oil in the cab!

Finally got all the glass put back in the doors last night with the help of a buddy. After we finished we went out to a tank storage yard that my company owns. They were doing some work out there and there are plenty of dirt piles to play on. I reached down to put it in 4WD and came back up with a handfull of motor oil! After further investigation the entire floor, shifter and pant leg of my buddy were covered. There was even oil up under the dash! My oil pressure gauge must have sprang a leak somwhere and shot oil everywhere! By the looks of my dipstick it was over 1/2 a quart! I've been wanting to put in after-market gauges for a while and now I have a reason - vengance!

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Oh no! Oil in the cab!

Good thing that you reached down for that shifter, driving at night, over a long distance with the oil spilling out of you pan... could have been a lot worse.

91 YJ 2 inch lift new engine in the works.
"Because there is no reason not to"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:15 PM
mudracer

You must have a mechanical gauge. Had that happen to me once too. The nylon oil tubing going into the gauge came out of the back of the gauge. I'm not a big fan of that tubing. Another time, I had the engine end melt because of exhaust heat. Kinda scary when you glance at the gauge and there is no oil pressure, then you see smoke rolling from under the hood. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Caught it quickly and no harm done, just had oil squirting on hot exhaust. Need to find a better type of tubing. Like the other post said, at least it you caught it quick (hopefully) before damage was done.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'93 Dodge W250 Cummins 5spd club cab
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
'85 Honda XR350R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:21 PM
Way Outta Control

If you have the plastic capillary tubing from the sender to the gauge... you can upgarade for about $10 for Copper tubing. The stuff's avaliable at NAPA.

Plastic line is less prone to vibration damage.
Copper line is less prone to pulling out of the fittings.

Pick your poison...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I had that happened to me too. I was lucky, I saw it when it popped of the back of the gauge and started leaking on the floor. Another time it happened under the hood. Burned or wore in two, can't remember. Jeepchick was gonna drive the CJ when I saw oil pouring out the bottom of the jeep. Very lucky that time, she would have called and ask me what's up with all the noise, smoke and why the motor won't turn over anymore! I all ready had to overhaul it once before when she got it hot and fried a couple of pistons!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 09:23 PM

Do yourself a favor and throw that thing as far as you can and get an electric guage. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
My dad actually killed an engine with one of those things once. The tubing blew out on the interstate and instantly dumped all the oil, and before he realized it and stopped, the engine had a meltdown. It actually melted the pistons and left aluminum on the cylinder walls.
It can happen with a electric sending unit too, but not near as likely.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode