Junkyard search... Bronco II flange & cv Joint - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Junkyard search... Bronco II flange & cv Joint

At Uwharrie last weekend with Jeepgod and elusive I twisted the splines on my Arizona driveshaft. They willnot cover it. I can still drive it, but it just will not collapse all the way.

I have a rubicon express 231 short shaft kit, and it has a bronco II style flange. I need to know if the bronco II has a cv joint in it, or what might that I can cut (and use it as the main shaft) and use my twisted one as a spare.

If I left out any important info out let me know. I'd rather build the shaft then get another 300$ one.

JR

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 08:21 AM
Veteran

Re: Junkyard search... Bronco II flange & cv Joint

Our '84 Bronco II POS we used to have had a CV joint on the driveshaft, I remember this because I had to write out the check when we had to get it replaced. (Back in our apartment dwelling days)
-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 09:19 AM
Way Outta Control

Wow, I'm amazed how many people really disliked the little Baby BII. I had an '84 that I gave away three weeks ago... 250,000 miles on the clock. There was more than one time I took it accross the Cascades from Enumclaw to Nachese without using HW 410... that was an adventure!

IMHO, it was a fine little vehicle. I taught 4 daughters to drive it and narry a one of 'em crashed it (except for a deer bent on suicide) or rolled it. I'll admit it wasn't easy to work on ... but it only once let me down and that was after I let Precision Tune touch it.. and that was 2000 miles later. A half mile out of Wall SD it decided to die... Precision Tune had not put any thread lock on the distributor rotor and it flew apart. I'd sure buy another one... That C4 transmission was the best! It was a little work horse (or as my wife would say, "Only a Jack-ass would drive a Mule." To be fair, her opinion was less than stellar, let's just say she put up with me and she Hated it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:42 AM
Veteran

I just didn't like the vehicle 'cause of the timing, we bought it & it cost us $$ to fix it at a time when we were barely scraping by. I liked it when I first got it - I picked it out (it was an Eddie Bauer!) Plus it frustrated me when I tried to re-glue the headliner about a zillion times. It did go decent in the snow though, Rick had put a set of 235 BFG AT's on it. It lacked power compared to the Ranger I drove for work (that had a 4.0L engine).

We sold it and bought an XJ that we absolutely loved.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

JR check full size Broncos also. They used a CV type shaft on the rear with the same type of flange as the Bronco II.

Larry did your BII tick a lot? Every one of them that I have heard (Rangers also) with the 2.8 sounded like a time bomb just waiting to go off. The 2.8 has to have the noisiest valve train that I have ever heard.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:07 PM
Way Outta Control

Mel, the BII was GREAT in the snow... As to the headliner, I took the headliner out and stripped the fabric/foam off the stryrofoam mold and went to the fabric store and bought some nice heavy curtian material of a design I liked. I used Weldwood Carpenters contact cement to glue the fabirc onto the headliner form. I Then I had my daughter make matching seat covers form excess material. It held for over 8 years!

I plan on doing something similar to the Jeep HardTop. When I get to Washington I going to Boeing Surplus in Kent, Washington (I hope it's still there) and buy some aircraft blanket insulation material. It's like a layer of thinsulate sandwiched between aluminumized mylar layers. The stuff would be perfect to insulate a HardTop. I sure could'a used out here in Wisconsin!

Snowtow, The 84 BII needed valve adjustment every 16,000 to 20,000 miles on a religious basis. If you didn't do that, it will tick... and later tend to burn valves. The lifters, if I remember right are solid, and so they do wear down with age... Yep, adjust the valves and that should quiet the drive train. When the engine starts to "roar" it's time to adjust the valves. I found that the outside engine noise would pick up as it apporached the needed adjustment time. In fact, I didn't even pay attention to milage, just noise. After the valves were adjusted the noise was lessened by about 80%. It was amazind and the valves can be adjust cold, that was benefit.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes leve boeing surplus is still there...bigger than ever

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 01:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

JR, looks like you got squeezed like an orange on that new driveshaft...
talk to me nice.. i think i have a rebuildable cv shaft here...

~~Elusive~~
I DO NOT OWN A JEEP>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

does it have that flange on it.. I have a cv joint here, just not the flanged cv joint... I'll just go looking and see what I find.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why wouldn't they cover? i've got a front drive shaft from them a couple years ago no problems and i don't know if i would ask for some type of warrenty but it would be nice to know they would stand behind their product.maybe i'll look else where if i need another. btw i do need a rear thinking of a little more lift and going with a cv also any ideas if the ones out of the front of a cherokee would be strong enough(i thought they used one?).

taco
78cj7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode