Starter making awful noise--Update-- - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Starter making awful noise--Update--

Well, what a friggin fiasco this has turned out to be. I'm selling my CJ, but the throwout bearing was bad. So I replaced it. It sat for a week or so, and the battery died..interior lights left on. I thought it was the starter, so I replaced that, then relaized it was the battery and replaced that.

I left the new starter on there and that is where the real problem begins. It fired right up with the new battery, but it sounded like the started wasn't disengaging right away.
Later that day when the guy came to look at it..it started once, but was making horrible noises..after that it wouldn't start again..it just make really bad grinding noises..I took the starter back to Auto Zone, and they had already gotten rid of my core, so I swapped out for a new one..same friggin thing is happening..

Is it the flywheel?? I hope to God not.. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Started making awful noise

Your problem started when you bought an Autozone starter. All downhill from there. Try rotating your engine a little by hand and try it again, if it is still making the same noises I'd say you have 2 starters in a row from Autojoke with bad bendixes.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Hey Brad-

How can I rotate the engine by hand? I was thinking maybe of just trying to push start the sucker to get everything moving and then checking the starter again..The teeth on the flywheel looked good..I don't know how much meat there should be on them, but I may try to measure them to find out.

Thanks,

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 06:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Move the engine by putting a socket with a bar on the vibration damper nut. Only turn clockwise as that is how the engine rotates. You might also check to see if the starter needs to be shimmed.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Okay, now I know where to do it..but where the heck is the vibration dampner nut...how do I know if it needs a shim?

Thanks

Sean

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 06:24 PM

Re: Starter making awful noise

any chance you left out the shims? could be enough to put it in a bind.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:00 PM
Way Outta Control

If the starter is grinding away when you start the engine.... it's likely you need a shim. The FOMOCO style starter is shimmed with a 1/6" shim that goes all around the starter motor, between it and the bellhousing. This places the starter a little away from the flywheel. These shims are avaliable at NAPA or almost any autoparts dealers in the little HELP display. You may even have to use two of them. Cost is about $7.50 each.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Is there a part number that you know of Leve? I just went to wrenchhead.com cause they are NAPA parts and I couldn't find one for the Jeep, but on a hunch I checked out a Ford f-150 with the inlline 300 and got a part number. Will this work out for me?

Thanks for the help,

Sean

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:20 AM
Way Outta Control

The "HELP" (Motormite) part number is 72236. This part is located on the big RED Card display that has the window handle cranks, tim pieces...lots of GM stuff. I was shocked to find it there.

The NAPA part is a little more expensive, but the starter motor you describe should use the same shim.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Okay, now I'm getting pissed...I put a shim on there..same noise, same problem..I cranked the engine by hand a bit before I tried to start it.

Then I added a washer to each bolt and that was too much..now the starter gear doesn't reach the flywheel..

What the hell is wrong with my Jeep...I'm gonna take the starter back and try to get another one..

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode