Steering Box Repair??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering Box Repair???

the steering box of my cj-7 is leaking fluid from the top, where is conects to the steering shaft. How dificult is to replace the seal and will I be better off getting another box???
tks
junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering Box Repair???

Some are gonna disagree on this, but here's my advice on what to do. Its a CJ-7, so its somewhere in the area of a 20 year old box. Sure you can replace the seal, but its my experience that once you get a leaky seal you have a box with a lot of age and miles on it. Rebuild or have the box professionally rebuilt, you will be amazed at how much better your Jeep steers. I had mine rebuilt a year ago (steering boxes IMO best left to pros) after the bottom seal started leaking, best $150 I've spent in a while. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 06:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I rebuilt 3 boxes last month... they took ..well.. a very long time... I ruined one.
please please please... just get a new box.. west texas off road rebuilds them very cheap and they do a great job. while its there they will tap the holes for the rock ram for no extra charge. you can cap the holes off till your ready for the upgrade. i took apart a perfectly good box from west texas (long story) and saw new parts everywhere.. i dont know how they do it so cheap.

~~Elusive~~
I DO NOT OWN A JEEP>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>
http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 07:10 PM

It's not too bad. The hardest part is getting the old seal out. I used a scratch awl to punch a hole in the metal part of the old seal. Then I threaded a small wood screw into the hole. I pulled on the screw with pliers and it came right out.

If your box is otherwise OK, no need to replace it.

1976 CJ7 304/TH400/QT/D30/AMC20
Front D44 in process.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 05:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

tks guys, I think I will pass on this and buy a rebuild one
tks
junior

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:07 PM
Veteran

I wouldn't mind the contact info to these people. I've got a leaky box laying around that could find a home very easily once it's fixed.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html

~~Elusive~~
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:40 PM
Way Outta Control

tumbamonte, I'm too cheap to fork over that much money for... well almost anyting at all! IMHO I'd vote to rebuld the steering box yourself. You just gotta go slow and careful and keep things clean. That's pretty simple.

You do need good direcitons, and they should come with the rebuild kit. Buy a rebuild kit, take'er apart and give it a try. What ya got to loose (except ball bearings [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])?

If you have a problem... then take it in and get it professionally rebuilt. Or if you're cheap like me.. you go in and talk to a couple of rebuilders... pick their brains. Then you've added to your knowledge, skills and tallents. There ain't nobody that can take those things away from you. And you're prepared for next time, or to help someone else. If you succeed you're dollars and knowledge ahead. If you don't succeed... well you lost a little time.. and that's about all.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 08:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with LEVE, go try to rebuild the box yourself. If you screw up, well you will still get it rebuilt anyway, so why not learn. I have the same leak, but i have just kept adding fluid. I have been lazy and dreading getting the impending power steering fluid shower, I much like the gear oil shower better, it make your skin softer [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
NAPA has the seals for $14. I just have to get off my lazy Arse and do it. And heck if it goes wrong, i can always get another one, but i will always have the knowledge.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 08:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yes.. directions may have helped me that day...
i assembled one of the parts wrong and a keeper pin dug into the side of the deal surface.. i had to press it apart and it left a 1/8" groove all the way down the main piston surface.
then came the "guess how you get 23 ball bearings into the box" game.. I think maybe i tore the box down WAY further than most folks need to...

~~Elusive~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode