What No Brakes!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What No Brakes!!!!!!

I went on a winter run this past weekend to get a Christmas tree with the rest of the club. There was a lot of snow. 4 feet in some places. Yes, I spent a lot of time stuck. On the way home, I noticed that the brakes felt spongy. I figured that they were wet. Soon I had no brakes. They failed just as I turned into my home street. What had happened was that the nut that holds the brake line to the front caliper came loose and allowed all of the brake fluid in the master cylinder be forced out. I tightened the nut and bled the system. My question is whether anyone else with a TJ has had this problem? I wonder if the brake line is too short with the 4 inch lift? Rick

'98 TJ Sport-becoming more modified & heavier all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 11:41 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: What No Brakes!!!!!!

Wow, I've never heard of that happening on a TJ.

You need to replace the copper compression washers on there now, or it'll keep doing it. It is plausible the lines are too short, but usually they just rip in half instead of loosening the banjo bolt. Flex it up and take a look.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 12:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info JEEPN. I will drop by the dealer today and pick up a compression washer. Will I have to bleed the whold system again or just for that brake? Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 01:02 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Don't go to the dealer, just a parts store, the washers are common. You'll need 2 of them, one on either side of the bolt.

If you remove the top from the master cylinder, making sure it's full of fluid, and keep the bleeder screw tight on the caliper, then you may not have to re-bleed the brake. All you're doing is replacing the washers and tightening them back down. I've been able to do it without having to re-bleed. At the most you'll have to re-bleed that one caliper though, no big deal, just gravity bleed it by yourself.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Too late, I stopped by the dealer here in Spokane, WA and talked to the techs. They told me they never replace them unless they are rebuilding the caliper. Makes you feel great that they do not commonly replace them. I am not sure if I will replace them or not. Thanks JEEPN. Rick

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:20 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Another thing I have a question on! Cool. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I seem to get small seepage leaks out of these washers at the brake line fitting on the caliper. Was I supposed to replace this washer when I did new brake lines? Is it a "use it once and if you take it off it's toast" thing? It never looked like a special washer of any kind when I had it apart, but I could never really get it to not leak, and never really knew why. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Not proud of it, but I think it still seeps some to this day. Never came to my mind to get a new washer. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Pete.

"Don't fall into the traps laid by society" -- Henry Lee Summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode