what are my rear end options? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

what are my rear end options?

Ok this is what i have, a D44 front out of a '76 wide track Cherokee. I am going to narrow it. i was going to take 4-5" off the long side and use Ford hubs. I have a M20 widetrack out of a '85 CJ that i was going to use for the rear. Can i narrow the front D44 enough to get down to the 56" without having to narrow both sides? How wide can i go with the front and still use my M20 rear? the reason i ask is i don't want to have to get another rear if i don't have too.
I looked at Dave's post about a week ago on his D44 install. He used the same axle i am, but he is using a Scout II D44 rear. and his rear is 58 1/2" wide. his front D44 is 61" wide.
thanks, Wade

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Will trade extra kidney for Jeep parts!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 10:39 PM

Re: what are my rear end options?

Meh, D44's are for amatures, D60's were last year.. I think the only acceptable rear right now is Uni-Mog axles.

I'm gona go D44 front and rear... eventually. It should be enough as long as your not running a Deisel, and like to stand on the gas.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

i need to know how wide i can have my front and still use the M20 rear i have. Can i use the wide track Cherokee D44 front or do i scrap it and find a narrower one to start with? I guess i can cut down both sides, but then i will have 2 custom axle shafts if something goes wrong.. ie, too much stupid pedal!!

4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 08:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Both sides of a Cherokee wide track will need to be narrowed for the width you want[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. A Wagoneer narrow track would be the best option for narrowing just one side to width you want. Usually a Dana 44 inner axle will need to be cut at least 4" to get past the tapper behind the splines. The reason I went with the Cherokee Wide Track was to allow lots of turning radius for 12.50 wide tires.
dave

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Dave, I have no prob leaving the width on my front the same as yours. I think it would be more stable anyway. Let me ask you this. Could i use a nine inch out of an older Bronco. It would have the right bolt pattern and is pretty close to that width isn't it? A nine inch would also be easier to come by than a Scout D44 rear, i think.

Does anyone have any measurements for this? what years i need to shop for? thanks all, you guys are the best. wade

4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 08:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I printed some information a couple years ago from ORC Jeep Axle Conversion Page, (I tried to find a link but could not find the link) show the Bronco having two widths, 58" & 62" wheel mount to wheel mount. My guess, the pre 77 had the narrow 58" width. I'm hearing that the Ford Explorer 8.8" might be another option for (plus) 58" width axles.
dave

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave.
You have been a big help. I think I will check out the early bronco rear. 58" sounds just about right. I think I want to keep the rear about 2" narrower so my turning radius keeps to a minimum. The Ford 8.8" would be okay except the bolt pattern is too small. I started on my YJ tub swap this past weekend so I have plenty of time to find something. I will also cut down the Cherokee D44 and put it in while I have it all apart. I there any particular year on the 9" to look for? I mean any year better than others?

By the way Dave. What shocks are you running on the front? Did you use the original Cherokee D44 shock mounts or fab your own?
Thanks Guys you are a great help. Wade

4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if it is a wide track cherokee your front width will be 64.5" wide i believe. i know of a guy who is adding 8lug outers to his j-truck frontend and the 8lug outers changed his width to almost 67" a standard 14bolt rear is 67" and can be had cheap. the detroits are cheap for them also (or you could weld. anyway just another option incase you want some real beef for a rearend.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 03:22 AM
Old Hand

Wade,

If you are still interested in the 9" stuff, here is what I have found out.

The best years for early bronco housings are '76-'77. The reason is they are the heavier housing and have large bearings.

Here is a pic of the earlier style some call the banjo style. (notice the center section is smaller and it has small bearings):

Here is a pic of the '76-'77 housing. Stronger housing, large bearings, same width.

The housing is 53 3/8", but with axles/brakes, add another 5". I have an uncut narrow waggy front with ford hubs/rotors that is exactly 61.25" wheel mount to wheel mount. In the rear I have a Warn full float kit that ends up being 59". I also wanted the rear to be 2" narrower for turning radius considerations (I have a scrambler, so it was very important). Since I was going with the full floater, I didn't care if I found an actual bronco housing. I got mine from a full-size ford van and had it cut down to 53 3/8".

I love the widths and the overall set-up. I have stock width rear axle from an early bronco and a stock width front narrow-track waggy. This translates into not having to get custom shafts.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My 80 CJ5 uses the Rancho RS5000 shocks sold for a CJ with a 4" SUA lift. I'm using Con-Fer spring mounting plates that have the shock mounting stud for the shock. The Con-Fer spring mounting plates are designed with a skip plate to protect the axle U-Bolts. The Con-Fer spring mounting plates position the shock mounting stud just like the original CJ spring mounting plate. I cut the Cherokee shock mounting brackets off.
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode