14 Bolt Tube Size - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

14 Bolt Tube Size

What thickness are the 14 bolt tubes?

Also, what are the differences (if any) between a "late model" and an "early model"? And what the hell does that mean anyway?

I found a cab and chassis 14 bolt (early 80s) with a spot on the tube that was rusty (I easily scraped the scale away)and worn down some. It is approximately 1.5 x2" and is located right under one of the corners of the lower spring/bolt plates (rear inside corner). It appears to be about 1/8" deep at its deepest point. So I was wondering the tube thickness, and would this even be a concern. Honestly, it looked like it could easily be fill welded, but should I just say fawk this one?

Opinions?

Oh, and the Detroit for the FF 14, I imagine since it goes in the stock carrier that it can be easily removed (like a lunchbox locker), without any gear set-up issues, for the snowy/icey winters here?

Also, I found another, but it looks like gear oil has leaked from the drum on the passenger side. Exactly how does the spindle attach to the housing? Is it at all removable?

Could gear oil be seeping by the axle tube, into the hub and out the inner hub seal?

There aren't alot of 14 bolt cab and chassis' available in this area, so any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charly

You say tomato, I say fawk you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:32 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: 14 Bolt Tube Size

Scrap that idea and go with the D70 we found up the road. It even has the 4.88's in it.

I'm headed back to "the yard" on Saturday, you game?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Believe me, if that 70 wasn't too wide (you know how the local cops' main concern is tread coverage)I'd already own it.

Sure, I'd love to come along...may have a passenger or two as well.

Charly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 11:53 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Let's go, I need to pick up another 10 of those ammo tubes.

BTW, did you know Harry went to jail again? I'll send you the newspapaer clipping, so if he didn't get time off for good behavior, he probably won't be there.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is the dana70 you are refering to the one you have posted pic's of? if so it looks like it has the big 6lug pattern. right? as far as i know all of them used the old coarse spline shafts that would not be as strong as the newer 35spline shafts or even a 14bolt fdor that matter. no biggie but if this is what i think it is, it isn't that big of a gem. just an observation

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

high5,

Thanks for replying to my post(s).

I know you said you believed the tubes were .5" thick. Do you have any idea how the spindles attach to the housing?

I'm sort of surprised I haven't got more people answering my questions...are they "stupid" questions? am I annoying? do I smell?

I have another question, are there any differences in 14 bolts over the years, particularly 88 and newer? Same as the older ones?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'm not sure how the spindles attach. i can't see a weld on mine and i knwo they can't be just pressed in. sorry but i just don't know. i am also unaware of differences between 14bolts 88 and newer. i have read that the 14bolt design has changed very little over the years. the piece i read on them said that the only real difference in design was the use of a crush sleve i believe. don't quote me. i don't think it'll matter too much they are all strong.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only things I've heard are that the drums come off (they are outboard of the hub) easier, and that there is some sort of extra webbing on the pig.

I'm asking because I have the type of luck that..I'll buy an 88, then people will tell me it's a POS, and why.

Thanks man.

I have an 8.8, 31 spline shafts, discs, 4.88s, new style ARB, welded tubes, new calipers that I may have for sale soon.

Damn, it's hard keeping up with H8...LOL.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 03:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i take it you are going to run it full width?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 07:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

full width for the cab and chassis version, yeah.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode