D300 Output Shaft Endplay Measurement Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

D300 Output Shaft Endplay Measurement Problem

As I travel down the road to transfercase nirvana I have hit a little pothole.

I am installing a 4:1 gearset and a heavyduty output shaft from Tera. I am finishing up the output shaft and the problem is I have absolutly no endplay! None, zippo, nada, you get the picture. My first thought was, shims, take them out. Did that, still no endplay. Next, bearing race not fully seated. Not that. I cranked down on the yoke to see if that would compress something, No luck.

I am trying to follow a set of crappy instructions from Tera. You can find the complete set here:

http://www.teraflx.com/services/inst...ll_10Jul01.PDF

I am wondering if I am checking the endplay wrong. Here is how I am doing it.

Any ideas?

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 03:49 AM

Re: D300 Output Shaft Endplay Measurement Problem

Hum...
looks like you got it setup pretty good, just a few ideas that you probably have already done, cycle the shifters a few times and spin the input shaft just to get her going, make sure that the dial indicator is lined up straight (looks like it is), have someone hold the case steady while you try to get some numbers. make sure that the case is not moving and that you have your dial indicator stand very tight so it is not flexing at the joints...
sorry i couldn't be more help

<font color=blue>Email:[email protected]</font color=blue>
'83 CJ8 350,nv4500,d300
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its my understanding that the end play is back and forth, not up and down on both shafts. Its hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like you have the dial indicator mounted to check play up and down. Also, why do you have the yoke mounted? It is easier to check this without the yoke on the shaft. BTW, front and rear are the same clearance, hows the other one?

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Instead of taking out the shims put the original ones back in and try adding a few more.
The cup parts of the two roller bearings are a fixed distance apart in the output housing. When you reduced the shims on the output shaft the cone parts of the bearing get closer together and will tighten up against the cups reducing the output shaft endplay.
Its the same type of adjustment as setting the pinion bearing preload on a diff.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I have the dial caliper right on the very end of the shaft, not on the side. So I am actually measuring in and out movement of the shaft into and out of the case. Is this correct? or should I be measuring side to side play?

"Why do I have the yoke mounted?"
Well, I believe that I would have to have the yoke on to control the in and out endplay. Right?

I only have the input shaft and this rear shaft installed in the case at this time.

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Both manuals I have talk about prying the shaft back and forth and measuring the end play at .001-.005. Thats what I did and It was 2 years ago this month I did mine and everything is great. Read exactly what the manual says. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

LOL, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] this is what was giving me fits. I have the first page of the assmbly directions from the manual that you sent me. I have my manual and the Tera directions. You manual and Tera say back and forth . My Haynes says measure it (no mention of how[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]).

I interpret back and forth to mean in and out. As in go back or go forth. Not side to side. But hell, I have been wrong before!! Lets get a second opinion on this one. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Max's post makes sense. More shims =equal more endplay(both in and out and side to side). I definetly did not think that all the way through.

Ok, So two questions:

1) what is the correct way to measure end play? In/out or Side/side?

2. In the directions (Tera's)it says to measure said endplay with not more than 10inch pounds of preload. Does that mean tighten the yoke nut to that spec and then measure?

Thanks

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To answer your two questions.
1) what is the correct way to measure end play? In/out or Side/side?
Ans. In/Out, exactly as you have shown in your picture.

2. In the directions (Tera's)it says to measure said endplay with not more than 10inch pounds of preload. Does that mean tighten the yoke nut to that spec and then measure?
Ans. The reference to 10inch pounds of preload is a separate type of measurement. So, first assemble the output shaft and tighten the yoke nut to the required 120 ft-lbs and measure the end play with the dial gauge. Then remove your dial gauge and with an inch-pound torque wrench, preferably a dial type, if you have one, measure the bearing drag or preload. This is a measure of the amount of resistance the bearings have as the shaft is slowely turned.
One thing to note, the factory manual I have makes no mension of measuring the preload with an inch-lb torque wrench, they only specify end play (0.001 - 0.005). I suspect the measurement of rotating torque is a "double check" type of measurement to ensure there is no binding of the bearings. I would also try to keep the end play within spec but on the tight end of the range, nearer to 0.001 then to 0.005
Another thing I've seen for those of you who can't afford a good dial type of inch-lb torque wrench is a trick I had seen in one of the old MOTOR manuals for trucks. In that book they showed a cylinder, something like a tin can attached to the end of the shaft, and a string and a small spring scale, like you would use to weigh a small fish. The string gets wrapped around the tin can and the end is pulled with the spring scale as the string unwraps from the tin can. A little math gives you the rotating force in inch-lbs. If your tin can were 4 inchs across and scale measured 10 lbs then the force measured would be 2in*10lbs = 20 in-lbs. I haven't tried this myself as I spent the money on a good inch-lb torqe wrench.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, in retrospect Max is RIGHT, back and forth means in/out on the bench. Just to be sure I wasn't going crazy I called 2 Ford techs, my son who rebuilds motors, t-cases and trannies all day long and my friend who also works in the same dealership with him, both said the same thing. Wonder what I did 2 years ago?! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Hope it was right, and I'm glad that you have the correct answer. They also suggested rotating and checking several times. But, I still wonder why you aren't getting any play even with messing with the shims?

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

I think the problem was I kept taking shims out. Instead of putting them in. I played with it tonight and think I have correct. I wished I had an extra .003 shim though just to make sure it is correct. Oh well, I am pretty sure I have it right.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode