OT-Microsoft Works 2000 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT-Microsoft Works 2000

I'm a far cry being "joe computer" so I had a couple of things I would like to know. I have a copy of Works Suite 2000 and was wondering if I can just install in over my Windows 98? Will I lose anything on my computer I have now? If for some reason I don't like it, can I copy my 98 over the 2000? I have the Windows 98 disc also. Is the 2000 better, faster or just have more stuff on it? Thanks for helping the computer impaired!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 02:59 AM

Re: OT-Microsoft Works 2000

works2000 is not an operating system. It is a bunch of programs that they give with new computers. It's sorta like a very limited version of office. Now if you had windows 2000 cd, yes you could just do an upgrade and keep your existing files. One word of warning, if you have a lot of devices on your computer and try to upgrade to windows 2000 they might not work.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.dreamwater.com/ironpines
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 03:29 AM

I agree, I recently formatted my hard drive and installed win2000pro on my HP which was built for win98, I had to find new drivers for almost everything. I got it done though. If I were you I'd recommend just sticking with win98. However, you could get someone to walk you through formatting and reinstalling win98, that way you would have a fresh new clean system that would definately run smoother.
Anyway...

<font color=blue>Email:[email protected]</font color=blue>
'83 CJ8 350,nv4500,d300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Thankyou, I understand. Works Suite has Word 2000, Works 2000, Money 2000, Picture it! 2000, Encarta Encylopedia 2000, Home Publishing 2000 and Expedia Streets & Trips 2000. Will these programs only work with Windows 2000? It would be nice to have a couple of these. My HP came with Windows 98 and I'm going to take your advice and leave it just like it is. The HP comes with 3 recovery discs but I think that is only for the programs that came with it. I thought it had the Windows 98 system with it but I guess not. Thanks again.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 09:06 PM

The programs will work fine on the win98 platform. Windows98 is included in one of those discs. If you have the recovery discs then it is really easy to format and reload win98, one of those cd's should guide you though it if you put it in. You probably have one disc labeled "application recovery", one labeled "system recovery" and one labeled "user's guide". It will give you some options like 1)reinstall win98 2)format and reinstall win98. I'f you don't feel comfortable doing it then I wouldn't do it. I would suggest defragmenting your hard drive, (start>programs>accessories>system tools>disc defragmentor). That would be good to do if you haven't done it in a while. If you do choose to format and reinstall win98 then be sure to <font color=red>backup</font color=red> everything that you want to keep because a format <font color=red>will</font color=red> erase everything. Also make sure you have all your information for your internet and email account, such as passwords, server info, etc.

<font color=blue>Email:[email protected]</font color=blue>
'83 CJ8 350,nv4500,d300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode