Counteract Electronic Rust Inhibitor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 09:47 PM
jeepfiend

Counteract Electronic Rust Inhibitor

Has anyone ever seen a system like this used on a vehicle? We use something similar in principal on water tanks all the time, but the tank systems usually involve some sacrificial rods. The principal sounds good, and I really <font color=red>HATE</font color=red> <font color=orange>rust</font color=orange>. I am even going so far as purchasing a sacrificial winter vehicle to protect my Jeep from the salt they use here in "Salt" Lake. Do you think the electronic rust inhibitor would work even in a corrosive salt water type environment? Here is a link to the site http://www.counteractrust.com/. I saw the add for this thing on the off-road swb jeep page.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 01:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Counteract Electronic Rust Inhibitor

The process that goes on in your water tanks is also used on boats. This protects the metal of
the boat or tank, ect using galvanic action. On boats zink plate are bolted to metal parts.
Because zink is more reactive then steel, brass, bronze, aluminum, ect that the boat is made
out of it corrodes first. By corroding it creates a charge between the boat and the water
which protects the boat. In effect it forms a battery with the water. The zink or other
sacrificial metal must be replaced from time to time as it slowly deteriorates.

How such a mechanism would work out of the water is a good question. In theory it should
work the same however without water to conduct the charge I think it would fail. I am also
very skeptical of anything that seems to good to be true. Galvanic action and zink/
sacrificial metals have been used to protect metal for over a hundred years. If galvanic
action could be used to protect vehicles I find it unlikely that there would not be many
reputable companys making such products, which would be available at any parts store.

In short I know of no solid reason it would not work, but would be very surprised if it did.

bandhmo

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 08:54 AM
jeepfiend

Re: Counteract Electronic Rust Inhibitor

That is kind of what I was thinking. I know they replace the anodes in the tanks fairly often. I have never been that good at electrical stuff, I much prefer to build things out of steel. I am just not so sure that this would work that well.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode