SYE/Transfer Case Problem 231 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SYE/Transfer Case Problem 231

I've got a problem. We just installed a Tom Wood's heavy duty CV shaft, and a JB Slip Yoke Eliminator kit. We have the RE 4.5" HD lift on our 92 YJ for information sake. We thought we were done but on our test drive (very short) we've got problems. The SYE kit went together smoothly (Tcase removed for the install) and reinstallation went pretty well too. Now we've got a strange noise we believe is coming from the Tcase. It only happens during deceleration with the clutch in (as in approaching a stop sign). The noise seems to be RPM related and stops when the Jeep stops. It sounds like "gear slap" for lack of a better term.
How much "slop" should the Tcase have in the output shaft? We may have had 2-3 degrees (one spline or so). Could the output from the Trans and the input to the Tcase be off a spline? I just am not sure here. I hate to tear the case apart again since we don't think that's the problem since it went together smoothly.
Could our rear drive shaft angle be causing this? Like I said we have the 4.5" lift and have the 2.5 degree wedges still installed, but the pinion angle is still fairly aggressive. Maybe I should pull the rear drive shaft and try front wheel drive?
The Tcase does shift into all settings without a problem. There is still a driveline vibration too, but I was just more concerned with the slapping sound that the vibe didn't bother me too much.
Any help would be appreciated!
Signed, "Frustrated in PA"
-Steve

Steve Liebl
92 YJ - 4.0L,5 speed,RE 4.5",SYE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:59 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: SYE/Transfer Case Problem 231

Check you're home Email.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some more information...
I pulled the rear drive shaft and took the YJ for a spin. The noise/vibration is gone. It's currently raining here in PA, and you guys know how quite soft top YJs are in the rain, so I'm not 100% positive about the noise. You know how it is when you think you have a problem, you hear all the little noises that have always been there! Anyhow, I think I need to correct the pinion angle of the D35 in the rear. It's a shame since we have D44's to put in front and rear in a few months. I'd rather not put any money into modifying the rear, so maybe I'll just get different shims and drop the Tcase until we install the D44's and reweld the perches at the optimal angle. Any suggestions from you guys would really be appreciated!

Steve Liebl
92 YJ - 4.0L,5 speed,RE 4.5",SYE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 07:03 PM
sas87yj

you got it- i have the same 4.5" rubicon, SYE, CV shaft BUT i have 12* shims- not 2.5*. you need to aim the pinion towards the transcase. and i did NOT lower the transcase either. the 2.5* shims can no way be enough. those are those cheapie aluminium also. call tom and have him send you some 12* STEEL shims- $25 a pair. if that will work with your situation. get a protractor and measure the angles if you want to get it right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode