removing differential cover - any immediate danger - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 01:43 PM
Joker2002

removing differential cover - any immediate danger

I have never understood completely how a differential works, as far as its ability to turn one wheel faster than the other via the side and spider gears. All I am wanting to do is simply remove the rear differential cover (and capture the draining oil in a bucket) and take a look inside. Then, while looking inside, have somebody manually turn my rear wheels so I can look at the action inside the differential. I don't think this should be cause for alarm, but are there any problems that might present themselves? Once I am ready to put the cover back on, should I replace the gasket no matter what or only if it's worn out. Like I said, I would think this would be a simple procedure just to remove the cover (NOT messing with any of the internal components), but I always find something to screw up. Just wanted your advice. Thanks.

Blake
93 YJ/33x12.50s/3" Heckethorn suspension/1.25" shackles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: removing differential cover - any immediate danger

thats a great way to learn how things work and you can't hurt anything...just look for broken teeth while you have it open....and change the fluid and gasket

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Make sure you get the surface on the diff and the cover VERY clean, otherwise I can guarantee you a leaking cover. Also, tighten the bolts slowly, using a back and forth pattern across the cover, diff covers are real easy to warp, especially the chrome aftermarket ones.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:12 PM

you might check out the automotive section of:
http://www.howstuffworks.com
they cover differentials, very cool site.

<font color=blue>Email:[email protected]</font color=blue>
'83 CJ8 350,nv4500,d300
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just keep your fingers out of the gears when you turn the wheels. I pump as much of the gear oil out of the diff as I can before I crack the seal, it keeps the splashing down.

2001 TJ, Warn HS9500i, tera 3st and ome shocks, 33X12.50 MTR/s, 4.56 gears, arbs front and rear
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:26 PM

Naw...you're supposed to tug on it until it pops and showers half your body in 90wt. Mmmmm, tasty. Someone in one of the other threads told me that gear oil was a food group...

You can trust me with your life, your safety, and your property, but not too many nights in the same room with you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:59 PM

Nuke, gear-oil is the 5th food group..
Duct tape is the 119th Element on the Peridoic Table.

DO NOT ever open the diff cover.. according to some people (buy it not build it types.) only a trained service man can service a diff. Otherwise it might go Nuke and take out your neighbourhood.

But that was the same guy that claimed you had to get your hard-top removed by trained service personelle too.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 03:34 PM

"But that was the same guy that claimed you had to get your hard-top removed by trained service personelle too."

I was at a Chevy dealership getting my Uncle's truck rebuilt for the umpteenth time (shrug, it's a Chevy) and a guy pulls in in his Vette Coupe. He gets out..he looks like Charles Atlas...muscle shirt, "the stance" and all. Service tech comes over, says "hey there Mr So-and-so" and procedes to take out the vette's glass top. as in a couple of flip locks/levers... tech stores it in the trunk and muscle guy roars out of the service dept. I asked the tech, who said the guy comes in almost every day to get the glass pulled, and comes back right before closing to get it put back in...

You can trust me with your life, your safety, and your property, but not too many nights in the same room with you.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 03:48 PM

That's a smart Vette owner.

Atleast if somtihng goes wrong he has someone to whine too.
Unlike all the other corvette owners. all they ever do it brag, and as soon as somthing goes wrong they whine.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 03:52 PM

And it IS a Chevy...so it WILL go wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode