Very streetable lockers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Very streetable lockers

The YJ is a every day driver on the road. I am in the market for a locker that will preform great on the road and superior off-road. Locker will be a nessesity in Colorado next year. I am sure this has been covered before but i would like to know the rough price, company, and style that will fit ny needs the most.

Headed for Gunnison, soon....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 01:20 AM

Re: Very streetable lockers

ARB is a good choice for on and off road manners. When its disengaged its just like an open differential.

Trailhed.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 01:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The new Powertrax locker is something you can install yourself for around 400. Not as strong as a detroit, but much better road manners. Just fine for a daily driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Um...yeah...about Powertrax. Do a search on that one. Yeah...um...you'll find some great reading material[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My vote is DETROIT! Now I've only driven mine a few times on the road. But it really doesn't seem that bad. Some clunking and what not. But that's also do to having stock tires and 4.56 gears. That makes for choppy shifting and what not. As for tight turns, it's not too bad. I'll eventually get so used to driving with it that there won't hardly be a thing I couldn't do that an open diff could do no the street. Except for that little trick of turning around in a 5ft circle[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 11:53 AM

Are you gonna run it on icy roads?If you do you should go for a ARB airlocker or ox locker.I have a cj-5 with a detroit and I would NEVER drive it on icy roads.I really don't enjoy spinning into a ditch at 55 mph.But if you just drive it on wet roads the detroit is the way to go much smoother than a lockrite or similiar lockers.

My jeep may be ugly to some.But she's a beauty in my eyes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:00 PM

I had a lockright and now have a detroit in the rear of my daily driver, and I can tell you the detroit is so much smoother on the street. Take it easy driving, and you will be fine in winter on the streets despite having a rear locker.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most people do not drive on ice at 55 MPH . Go with the only real locker , Detroit . Even an open diff will put you into a ditch at 55 . Lets be real here .

When it doubt , PUNCH IT !!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

If you are going 35 mph and let off the gas in 4-wheel drive you will probely end up in the ditch w/ or w/o lockers. I take it detroit is the best choice for my application. How much will I be put in the hole?

Headed for Gunnison, soon....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode