350 to T18 bellhousing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

350 to T18 bellhousing?

Does any other company beside A.A. make a bellhousing that will adapt the SBC 350 to a Ford T18 trans.? Thx, Ed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:55 PM
utahjeepr

Re: 350 to T18 bellhousing?

The Ford T-18 bolts right up to a Chevy bellhousing with just a little modification. Spend the money on something else.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 08:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Utah, thanks for responding. What modification is needed, reloation of mounting holes, or something different?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 02:04 AM
utahjeepr

Give me a bit and I'll get back to you. I can't remember right off the top of my head. I recall having to grind the holes out a little and it seems like I had to enlarge the hole for the bearing retainer. I've got this written down somewhere. It's been a while since I've done one. Takes all of about 15-20 minutes to do the mods.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 07:14 AM
Old Hand

Any CJ that used the pontiac 4 cyl standard will work.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 09:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Utah, looking forward to hearing from you.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 10:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Lakewood makes a bellhousing for a Chevy 350 to Ford T - 18. The Lakewood bellhousing is even more expensive than AA. Most likely your not wanting that option.

The GM/Pontiac (Iron Duke) 4 cylinder bellhousing used in the early 80's CJ's will bolt to a 350, and once new holes are drilled and tapped into the Iron Duke bellhousing for the T-18, the Iron Duke bellhousing is ready to run with a hydraulic clutch. This is an affordable option. The GM/Pontiac 4 cylinder bellhousing has the T-18 mounting bosses already cast into the bellhousing, just need to drill and tap the mounting bosses. Now for the news you might not like, the GM/Pontiac 4 cylinder bellhousing allows the use of the smaller 10.4" Camaro clutch. GM pickups used either an 11" or 12 clutch. If you don't mind using a car sized clutch on the trail, then the GM/Pontiac 4 cylinder bellhousing is an affordable option.

Next option, the Ford T-18 input bearing retainer could be machined to a smaller diameter to fit the large center hole of a GM pickup bellhousing. Next problem, GM pickup bellhousings have two different sizes for the large center hole. The SM465 uses a large center hole of 5.125". The other GM pickup bellhousings have a large center hole of 4.686". The Ford T-18 need's a bellhousing with the large center hole 4.848". The Ford T-18 input bearing retainer could also be machined to allow the use of a GM throwout bearing. Modifing the Ford T-18 input bearing retainer is an affordable option. The top two holes on a GM pickup bellhousing are 8.250" apart. The top two holes on a Ford T-18 are 8.500" apart. Just elongate the holes in the Ford T-18 so the holes are 8.250" and the top two holes of a Ford T-18 will bolt up to the GM pickup bellhousing. One of the lower mounting holes of a Ford T-18 will not mate to the flat surface of the GM bellhouing, let's hope your Ford T-18 has the extra mounting hole between the top and bottom mounting holes. Then just drill new holes into the GM pickup bellhousing for the T-18 lower/middle mounting holes. The lower/middle mounting holes of the Ford T-18 will be blind holes in the GM pickup bellhousing, which means you will not be able to tap treads into the GM bellhousing.
dave

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whew! Thanks Dave, info is appreciated.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not familiar with your whole project but IMHO you are going about it all wrong. Why not just start with parts that go together? You are talking about adapting to mate the engine to the tranny and most likely adapting again to mate the tranny to the T-case. I would suggest if you want a SBC 350 go with the whole works from a Blazer etc. That is engine, tranny, and t-case. Might I ask if you aren't using an adaptor between the tranny and the t-case how are you doing it?
Miles

"When in doubt go faster"
'64 CJ5, 351W, T-18
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 08:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

When I converted my CJ5 to a SBC 350, I asked myself the very same question why not use the GM stuff[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Answer, the GM transmission/transfer case were just to darn long to fit in my CJ5[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. I ended up using a Ford T-18 / Scout II Dana 300. Heck, the total length of my Ford T-18 / Scout II Dana 300 was actually less than the old T-5 / Jeep Dana 300 by about an inch. Those darn GM transmission / transfer cases don't have the crawl ratio like a Ford T-18 / Scout II Dana 300 either[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. The Scout II Dana 300 was expensive, but I did not need a special adapter (or expensive), I just indexed a Jeep T-18 / Dana 20 adapter plate to the Ford T-18. I even used the Jeep T-18 main and output shafts in the Ford T-18. I did opt for the Lakewood bellhousing, kinda not cheap, but heck safety first[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode