Need Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Need Help

I am getting ready to install a Howell fuel injection on my 86cj7 258. Before I do this I need to figure out if my engine is OK. It likes to blow blue smoke at stop lights, sometime a whole bunch sometimes a little. The engine is supposed to have only 10K miles on it. The number 1,2,3,6 plugs are a tan whiteish color and the 4 and 5 plugs are black. I did a compression test

DRY = 1-185 2-190 3-185 4-175 5-175 6-180
WET = 1-195 2-200 3-195 4-195 5-185 6-195

Does this tell me anything? What do I do next?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 07:57 AM

Re: Need Help

It doesn't sound all that healthy to me. The compression #'s aren't way out of whack, but I'd wonder about leaking oil rings or valve seals. Of course, you could just have a set of bad plugs or wires causing them to get gas fouled. Without actually looking at it myself I can only guess though. It doesn't sound like it only had 10k on it unless the rings never seated properly.. How fast does it go through oil?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Help

if the engine wasn't rebuilt properly or it wasn't broken in properly then it may need new rings and seals. My old CJ had a chevy 350 with "only 9000" miles. When it started blowing smoke into the cab, I asked the PO...turns out he rebuilt it himself and he was NOT a mechanic or an expert. While you have the engine apart, or before you do the install...get the engine checked out professionally - see if they'll let you watch or tell you what they're doing so you can learn. All it takes is practice and experience to do most of the engine work correctly. Good luck with everything.

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode