Painting? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 07:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Painting?

Hi,

I know this forum is mostly mechanical, but I thought with all the experts out there surely some might be able to share their experiences and knowledge with auto painting.

I have done some auto painting in the past, mainly farm equipment & trucks. I have always used AE type paint. My current project is a Jeep and I'm ready to paint...

What are the Pro's & Con's of both AE and BC/CC type paints (easy of use, cost, time, etc.)??

Thanks for your help!
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 08:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Painting?

Hi Kevin, I used a PPG paint called "Concept". It is labeled as DCC (I have no idea what that means) and it is an acrylic urethane. It went on very easy and smooth and surprisingly, with only one small drip in the paint. I had never picked up a paint gun before and got my practice by applying the primer/surfacer/sealer coats. It was a little spendy (paint was $180 gal for the orange I got + hardener + reducer + primer + catalyst bla bla bla, about $500 for all of the paint materials). But I would definately do it again.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:31 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I`d never dreamed of painting my CJ but I did it .Those guys at the bodyshop wanted $ 2000.00 MINIMUM !!! I used DuPont Centari . A single stage paint . The trick is all in the prep , after the body work was done I spent a fair amount of time(8 hrs.) wetsanding the hi solids primer so it was smooth as silk to the touch . The primer was like honey going on , it does a good job of hiding any tiny sanding scratches you neglected to find.
I built a make shift booth outside and we put 5 coats of 2001 Dodge Viper Yellow on it . That was in June , I`m just going to do the final 1500 grit wetsand on it now , to remove any overspray I got on it . Attatched is a pic after the paint . Looks like it was dipped in plastic [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-617349-JeffsCJ.jpg (84.5 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 10:57 PM

A good paint job starts with the prep! If the body and primer are not done right, the best painters would have a hard time hiding the flaws. Take your time in the prep (wet sanding, primer/filler, wet sand...). Seal your final coat and use a compatable paint (dont mix laquer and enamel). I have used Centari, Deltron(PPG), and a few others. High quality paints are all very similar, so dont sweat over which to get. Talk to the counter people at an automotive paint supply store and find out what will hold best for the temp your painting and the area your painting in.

TJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:31 PM

I used DuPont base coat / color coat system for my first paint job.
It was really forgiving, especially for my using a small touch up gun for the whole job.
It's a little too soft, especially after off-road sage brush 'pin striping' and ordinary dings.
Like the guys said ... it's all in the prep ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 03:44 AM
WSB

Like everyone has said the key to a nice looking paint job is the prep work.

I like to use BC/CC for anything that isn't either a complete repaint or if it has metallic in the paint. If it is a complete repaint, I'll use a single stage(SS) urethane. The brands that I use are PPG and Shrewin Williams. The SS urethane is similiar to AE but is easier to work with and sprays much nicer. But I think overall urethane paints are more durable than your AE type paints.

The two pros that I know of AE or SS over BC/CC would be the cost and the spray time. The cost will be considerly less becasue you don't have to purchase clearcoat, reducer for the clearcoat and catalyst for the clearcoat. The time to spary the vehicle is less because you don't have to spray any clearcoat. I haven't purchased any AE paint in quite some time but it is probalby a lot less costly than the urethane paints.

Wayne

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 11:40 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jaf

Is that an old pic of your Jeep ? Still driving around without a hood ? I was wondering if we all have to pitch in and get a hood for ya [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cya [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 01:39 PM

lol, I was just wondering that myself Zilla..

Was about to post a
"Jaff you really.. really need a hood? Cause there were a bunch at the "local" (5 hours away) yard."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode