another radiator question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

another radiator question

so since the radiator decided to start spewing today, can i drive with the cap loose so the pressure doesn't build (and blow water out) until i can get it fixed on monday? she is my only transport right now, but i am only driving short distances.......anyone?

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 08:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: another radiator question

you sure can.. keep a watchful eye on your temp guage.. and i would suggest getting a good guage.. with the actual temp on the guage.. and keep water in it..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YA!!!

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!

when in doubt.........
empty the magazine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 05:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might try and fix the leak yourself.
JB Quick Weld works good for fixing small holes.
BTW, if your radiator is leaking cause it's old, and the side straps are falling off, I wouldn't get it fixed. I'd bite the bullet, spend the 2 bills, and get a new one. That way you'd never have to worry about that problem again.
You can limp home with no brakes, no clutch, bad carb, blown d- shaft, and a variey of other stuff, but ya ain't gonna get very far with no cooling. No cooling can also lead to catostophic engine damage $$$.
I don't mess aroud with radiators, when in doubt throw it out.

CTjeepnut

You had to do what to fit those little tires?
I'm sure glad I own a CJ!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 11:47 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Maybe ( if not a gapping hole ) get a couple cans of Barsleak and dump them in . Should get you through til Monday . Stuff has always worked good for me in an emergency .

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Come on guys , stop with all of the band-aid tricks like bars leak and stuff . You are killing me .

When it doubt , PUNCH IT !!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:11 PM
Way Outta Control

One thing to remember about a CJ radiator and that's the tanks (top and bottom) are made from thin material. Often when you get the radiator repaired, a twist here, a flex there will break open the seams again.

IMHO, if the radiator is leaking it's due for rebuild or replacement. I'm not a firm believer in bird dung, pepper, cow manuer, or even Barrs Stop leak. I'd rather not be litterly left high and dry with a bad radiator. It will most often fail when it's under the most extreem stress and that's on the trail. Those type of repairs I try to avoid like the plague.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

yeah....this radiator has had a vary slow leak since i bought it 2 years ago....it was/is right along that top seem, (i guess top tank?) like i said it was very slow, so cheaper and easier to just add a cup or two twice a year. but i guess when i took it out to swap the engine a few weeks ago, somewhere in the process made the hole worse. so now it is blowing water out that seem.....naturally right into the fan and making a general mess. so i think the plan is to pop it out tomorrow and take it into the rad shop mon morning and see what they recomend. since the motor was just rebuilt......i don't want to take any chances....but thanks all for your advice.

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode